Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was / is a Bel Air 2 door hardtop, almost ready to go to paint. The owner not me at the time, had it at a body shop.
Body shop owner left his one employee alone at the shop when the owner went to run errands and then to the Bank / deposit, so the story was told.
Employees friend comes to the shop. They start talking about how cool the 57 is. Leads to starting it up. Then taking iit for a drive ....No we can't , its a customers car No we can't , the boss will be back shortly ....
Well, Friend convinces body shop employee to take the car for a spin....They go down a country road , dirt / gravel type and all, you know. The car is going very fast and there is a school bus stopped at a stop sign. The bus starts to make its left turn onto the main road and as he is completing the turn the 57 is right on top of him,the 57 tries to stop but slides on the gravel and it is to late to stop, they collide.
The 57's speed is misjudged by the bus driver as the 57 is going so fast. . Causing this damage to the 57. I do not have the photo of the bus.
I guess you can figure out what the shop owner, much less the car owner, had to say about this...
A friend called and advised me of a parts car. I went and looked. Duh I thought for parts? YA RIGHT, thats how it ended up to me.
You say for parts? Here is proof...What do you think . I'm crazy? If you said yes, your right. Got a title too.
For more photos go to my albums and see wrecked 57 Chevy. P.S. It is hard as you know for picture sequence so they may not be in order.
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
It must have been a labor of love...it would have to be!! Glad it found you! :tu:tu:tu

Would I have taken this on...beyond my capabilities, but bent metal is probably still better than having to deal with rust, and trifive love is love, so I probably would have even if I knew I shouldn't. That said, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have come out near as nice as yours!! :congrats::congrats::congrats:

·
Premium Member
15,897 Posts
Would you have taken it on? YES!

I've been there and done similar repairs to that on a steel car as well as on a 58 Vette a few years ago. I would take one on again, I like repairing crash damage like that more than fixing ROT! :tu

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
57 HT damage

Yes I agree, sheet metal is better to work with than rust or missing/nothing there at all.
Here is a photo of more damage to the front and passenger side where the bus did its more serious damage. I forgot this photo which is critical to ascertain the initial/actual damage. To help one to answer the question. What was I thinking about buying this car?
Would you have bought it at the time?
Like I said I was wanting the car for parts but it did not end up that way. Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
67,738 Posts
your a better man then me mike. :tu

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
You did a fantastic job bringing that '57 back to life.:tu:tu:tu

What year did the accident happen Mike???

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its been 10 - 15 years now. Like I said on another post. I used to get and come across deals all the time USED TO ! Mike

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
I probably would have passed also.Then again i'm glad you tackled it head on and saved it. Like they say, when the going gets tough,the tough get going.:shakehands: :anim_25: :tu :tu

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Better Man

Originally Posted by carls 56
your a better man then me mike.

A better body man, don't sell yourself short Carl.
Jim
Ya Carl .:congrats: You are. Mike

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Every '57 coupe is worth saving :) Glad you got it. How far along are you?

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for statement about saving a coupe. You are right ! Gary.
Thats one that got away. 57 was sititng on driveway out front, guy had to have it, HAD CA$H.
Not a talker like most....I usually don't sell any . Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts