Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I just left my blown '57 Belair in the garage. It may very well be sold soon and I was going over everything to make sure there were no obvious issues. I started the car and watched the temp. eventually climb to 190 degrees. (I don't recall what therm. I have in it). I idled this car for the better part of 25 minutes. I wanted to see how hot it might get sitting still. I waited and waited but it wouldn't move off the 190 mark. Now, I could drive this car down the road all day long at about 45 mph and it would never get above 190 degrees. Get in slower traffic or stop at a very long redlight (similar to ilding in the garage) and the temp takes off. Once, I recall it being a very hot, humid day in July, very slow moving traffic, and it creeped up to 230 degrees and I pulled off the street and shut it off. Just wondering why it will idle all day at 190 in the garage, but after running it a awhile and say at a redlight, the temp. will creep up. I just don't know why it acts this way. Can't figure out the difference. Any suggestions/ideas??? Thank you, Carmine.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Here's a theory....
In the garage the fan is pulling cool air through the radiator.
In traffic, the heat from all the exhaust of the many cars piled up, coupled with the sun beating down on all the traffic, causes the air that is being pulled through the radiator to be MUCH warmer.

Just a theory, nothing more.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
It's probably a lot cooler in your garage right now than it would be out in the sun with heat coming off the pavement and from other cars.
Do you have a shroud on the fan. It sounds like you need just a little more air flow through the radiator.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Carmine

Now take it for a short ride around town and bring it back and try to leave it set idling in the driveway and I'll bet the temps climb. I don't think the engine makes a lot of heat just idling. I've found mine will do the same thing. I can run it all day long in the driveway but take it for a short run on a hot day and get stuck in a little traffic and away it goes!:sign0020:

Don

·
RIP 02-03-2022
50,809 Posts
Here's a theory....
In traffic, the heat from all the exhaust of the many cars piled up, coupled with the sun beating down on all the traffic, causes the air that is being pulled through the radiator to be MUCH warmer.

Well, it does make sense when stated like that.....:bowtier::gba:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Here's a theory....

I agree that and the fact you are under a load at very slow speeds.

·
Administrator
70,785 Posts
Here's a theory....

AS well as the heat from the ground radiating upwards

·
Registered
731 Posts
Blowers build up heat in your engine . The bigger the blower is and the harder you turn it the more heat it will produce. I had a 29 roadster with a 471 and on a hot day it would make the engine run 10 or more degrease at highway speeds. Don

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Automatic transmissions generate extra heat with engine idling in gear ; what trans has the W engine got behind it, Carmine ? A close-fitting shroud with a large 7-blade fan will cool it . Be safe...Bob.
Turbo 400 trans. Six blade fan (I know it's more then 4). No shroud. It's much too tight. If I keep the car, I'm thinking electric puller. The "W" engine is in my gasser and I'm going to try an electric puller on it soon.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice if they made a 2-piece fan shroud. That way you wouldn't have to fight with the blade. I think you could make one for it, if you had the time. The benefits are worth while to have a fan shroud. Especially when you need as much cooling for that "monster" engine.:sign0020::anim_25:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Vintage Air makes a two piece shroud. 37155-VCF. Cost is 85 bucks plus shipping. Havn't tried it yet but about ready to give it a whirl. I have the exact same issues-fine at 45, idle in the garage no problem, idle in traffic-away it goes!

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
10,883 Posts
Turbo 400 trans. Six blade fan (I know it's more then 4). No shroud. It's much too tight. If I keep the car, I'm thinking electric puller. The "W" engine is in my gasser and I'm going to try an electric puller on it soon.
Idling at red lights always put it in neutral... and rev the engine to 2K if it really needs cooling down. If you are really going without a shroud the fan should be about 1/2" from the radiator and no more. Fan spacer kits are available at most auto parts stores. Last but not least, in emergency's turn the heat on high and open all the windows!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Ran an 8-71 on my big inch dart and it didn't last very long at all before I pulled it off. I couldn't fit any electrics between the drive belt and the rad as I had no room so I put two pushers out in front. That may have worked on a smaller motor where I didn't need to overdrive the blower, but at 5000' of altitude and a blower that was too small for the cubes I had, it was a recipe for disaster. Car continually climbed above 220+ and I said enough was enough.

No more blower, and no more heat issues as I can now run temps under 190 in traffic at anytime and still push over 700hp in this big block. Things are good now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.