Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Chaz. I'm the new guy on the block... but not to Tri 5's. My first car at 16 (1975) was a '55 2 door with a 327.
In 1979, I was in the Navy in Seal Beach CA. and bought my present '56 210 2door and had her ever since. I'm still running the original 265 in her but backed it up with a 700r trany. I love that car!! ;)
Now, I have a few questions, if I may:
I seem to have a sheet metal piece on either side behind the radiator over the frame. I heard it was a desert option (?). I also have sheet metal pieces in the front wheel wells behind the tires that takes the splash from the tires. I have been having a hard time finding the foam pieces that attach to them to seal them to the body. No one I talked to seems to know what those panels are.
And lastly, stock rear springs are too long for my car!! I have tried a couple new sets and the are about 1 1/2" too long. What gives???
Hope someone can help me out. I hope to be able to return the favor in the future, if possible!! Thanx again!!
Chaz

·
Administrator
49,658 Posts
Welcome,Chaz. As far as the pcs. behind the radiator they are stock pcs. Does your car still have the stock rear shackles for the springs? As far as the rear inner fender shields you might give H&H classic a call.

·
Administrator
49,658 Posts

·
Administrator
49,658 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow Chevman,
Thanx for all the info!! But........... I can't quite see the pic. The lines are kinda broken up.
The pieces behind the radiator are actually behind the radiator filler panels. They are laying horizontally over the frame.
The panels in the wheel well are kinda like a mud flap but sheet metal and have a foam type seal on them. Harmon's wasn't familiar with either piece and Classic Air had never seen the pieces behind the filler panels before. They were actually in the way of the AC canister, whatever, that sits there on their aftermarket AC setup.
And the shackles should be stock as I had never done anything to them and the original owner that I bought the car from hadn't done anything to the car. It was actually a "little old lady"!!! No kiddin!!! But she wasn't from Pasadena. lolol (Garden Grove, I think) lol
Thanx for all the help. I just wish I could see the pix better.
have a good one!!
Chaz

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Welcome Chaz! The panel near the radiator are available, but pricey.

I'm not sure I know the foam pieces your talking about. I do know the splash shields themselves.
I would think a swap meet either in Louisville or Indy would be in order.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
COOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanx Mike!!!!!!!!!! Ya nailed it!!! Were the radiator splash panels an option that you know of?? I have them, but it seems that not many people do. I had heard it was a desert option, but........?????
I do hit the meets, but haven't had any luck. I have the tin, but the foam doesn't seem to be available from Harmon's. I usually buy everything from them, but it's not set in stone. They just happen to be close. Any better/cheaper retailers you know of??
Thanx for all the help!!!! I really appreciate it!! This site is really turning out to be cool!!! Hope I can return some favors some day!!
Have a good one!
Chaz

·
Administrator
49,658 Posts
Chaz those are a stock item. Thats the pc that was pictured in the manual pic. And as for the foam strips if you want to cut your own, wal mart sells some closed cell foam in the craft dept. It will work,Terry.

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Terry is right about the foam. I suspect it comes as part of the fender anti squeak set, but unless your planning on taking the fenders off and sealing everything, I wouldn't buy those.

·
Administrator
49,658 Posts
Mike i just built my own fresh air tube seals from that foam, and it worked great and i color coordinated them since you can buy it in different colors. If you want it thicker than the slice is you can glue 2 slices together real easy.

·
Administrator
49,658 Posts
Chaz did you zoomin on that pic, because it was very clear on my end when you zoom in and make it bigger. That cam from the factory manual page here on the forum, Terry.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I sure you don't need me to say this, Chaz, but that is one fine looking automobile! :)

Welcome to this great site, and I'm sure we'll all learn a lot from your experiences! Thanks for joining.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, thanx Guys!! Good to be here. I appreciate the warm welcome!!

Thanx for the tip on the closed foam. I'm not sure about the difference between closed and open cell. I have a few different foams here from past projects, but don't know what they are. (I use to have a welding and fab shop and we built ALL kinds of stuff. And I mean ALL kinds!! ;)

I'm not sure about the pic you speak of, Chevman. I think that may be the one Mike sent. But that is what I was talking about.

Thanx 57Chevy! She's my baby. I got her "Old School" for right now. Kinda like when I was in High School. "Do the best ya can wwith what ya got, and paint costs too much"! lololol But, as I do things, I'm doing them right. Lots of stainless steel - cause I can and I like to work in it - under the hood along with Air and I just put on power steering. I want to next get the 15" repo wheel. My stock one is a MONSTER now!!! But I want to keep the same look. Any ideas on where to get one??
If you guys would like to know a bit more about me, I have a website that shows what I do: www.amstudio.us It also has my home - VERY unique - and other info on it. Also my photobucket addy is:http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/ There are some pics of different shows, friends, etc. there. You may enjoy it!!!
Well off to poundin steel..... or .... it's bronze today.
Have a great one!! Thanx again for the nice welcoming!!
Just,
Chaz

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.