Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new EMI trunk floor that arrived in bare steel. I'm gonna spray a coat of epoxy primer on it shortly. What is the best thing to clean the bare metal surface with before I apply epoxy?

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Soap & water, scuff good with a 3M pad, pre-kleno (wax & silicone remover) then epoxy. Do you have some surface rust or is it just oily? If you have some surface rust you'd better use 80 grit on a DA sander instead of the 3M pad after you wash well with soap & water.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
dawn soap and water , rinse well then blow dry . if you use a solvent cleaner you will need to wash it twice and let it dry for an hour.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered a quart of SPI epoxy and a quart of activator today. I enjoyed talking with those guys and I am stoked about the free shipping!

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
dawn soap and water , rinse well then blow dry . if you use a solvent cleaner you will need to wash it twice and let it dry for an hour.
Man...I use Dawn to clean so many things it is unreal. Sometimes I mix in a some reg vinegar.

"mention me and barry will charge you an extra 10 bucks ................... "

lol...this should go in your sig line :sign0020:

Sorry I don't have more to add RUSTADDICT, but I am a little envious...very cool for you...and looking forward to seeing some pics on the progress !! :tu :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts