Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hows everyone doing? I am a newb and want to say hi and get some suggestions. I am looking for back spacing specs, I have Air Ride technologies Cool ride up front and parllel 4 link shock wave in the rear. This totally eliminates the leafs. I will be running steel smoothies. 15x8 up front or wider and 15x10's in the rear. Sorry to sound like an IDIOT but i am new to these cars. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks to all.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Welcome! Sound like an idiot? Not to me...I don't even know what you're asking?! :)

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Welcome.....You may find the "Tire Specs" post at the top of the "Modified" section helpfull.The surest way to determine the correct backspace is with a straight edge and a ruler.Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Welcome aboard five5! Has the rear of your hot rod been mini-tubbed? If it has not......a 15x10 tire/wheel combo probably won't fit. The inner wheel housings must be moved back, into the trunk area, at least to the frame rails. This will give approximately 3-inches of additional space per side to fit a larger tire. If your ride is not mini-tubbed...a 15x8 with a 4.5" backspace on a 255 tire will bring you very close to both inner and outer fender sheetmetal. All of this depends, of course, on the width of your rear end housing. If you are buying tires and wheels out of a shop they should be cool with trial fitting the combo on the car. Late 55 said it best...a straight edge and ruler. Good luck!

Tom

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Was just looking thru my latest JEG'S flyer that I received in the mail today....They have a "wheel fitment tool" made by "WheelRite" that looks like it would be well worth the $89 cost.It's on page 22 bottom left corner.It appears that you can set the wheel diameter,tire tread width and backspace....it then bolts to the drum or rotor and can be spun to check for wheel/tire clearances.Anybody have any "Real World" experience with one of these? I may have to add that to my Christmas list!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Welcome to the site, Five5. I'm with 1957Chevy. You sure sound like you know what you are talking about to me. I'm a artist not a mechanic, I do what I can mechanically with input from friends, a prayer before I begin and trial and error.

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.