Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received the Harbor freight sandblast cabinet reclaimer unit and hooked it up. Thats the best money I have spent in awhile. I mounted it on the left side of the cabinet so I can keep the cabinet up close to the wall and out of the way. I just reach over and turn it on and blast away with 100% clear vision. I'm happy! Dave

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,845 Posts
Love my reclaimer as well :):tu.....Definetely less dust in the garage now.....Easy to empty and recycle as well.

·
Registered
957 Posts
What media are you guys using?? I'm using the glass bead media from HF. I don't have ANY noticeable dust in my garage. I'm using a cheapy shop vac hooked up to the left of my cabinet and it does "pretty good" at giving me a clear area in the cabinet to work in.

I haven't bought the reclaimer as it is almost as much as the cabinet was.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,845 Posts
Using aluminum oxide....Have used a friends with glass beads and shop vac tdi

·
Registered
957 Posts
Using aluminum oxide....Have used a friends with glass beads and shop vac tdi
Please elaborate. I haven't used anything except the glass beads. Where do you get your AO?? How much is it?? Is it worse on the lungs than the glass beads?? More or less abrasive??

I understand that the reclaimer HAS to be better than the shop vac setup, but other than being able to see (which I can with my shop vac) and reclaiming the material, what are the advantages to spending sooo much $$ on the reclaimer??

Not bashing or being arguementative, just curious.

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
hotw, when I mentioned my homemade setup on the other "reclaimer" thread, I got a couple of replies like I was either a terrorist or a cheapskate.

But my zero buck deal works pretty good.

I sawed a hole in the back wall of the cabinet that accepts the hose from my shop vac. On the inside of the back wall, over the hole I cut, I put an old air cleaner element from my former pickup over the hole and capped it with a plywood lid. On the top of the cabinet I put a similar setup except that the air cleaner element is a bit smaller.

The shop vac pulls the light stuff out and it collects in the filter element, and keeps the big stuff out of the shop vac. The filter on top lets air in and keeps some of the noise down, but since there's a vacuum inside the cabinet, no air or dust gets out.

Much of the stuff you blast off the parts ends up in the filter, but a lot gets back in the media. You still have to change it occasionally.

The shop vac, even on the lowest speed, will pull enough vacuum with a clean filter to blow up the gloves, and quickly. When the gloves don't blow up when you turn the vac on, or if they do but it's lazy, then it's time for a new filter. Or at least to shake it out. Seems like I'm always doing that because without fail it happens when all the stores are closed and I don't want to wait.

Aluminum oxide is much harsher than glass beads. If you want to strip rust, use the aluminum oxide. If you want to be a bit gentler, then glass beads are good. There are many other media.

If you want to check out all the media available, check the Eastwood catalog. But there are better places to buy. Industrial supplies have it. I buy mine from McMaster-Carr, as well as many other things like Roloc discs, cutoff wheels, fasteners, and a number of other things. They are not the cheapest on the planet, but they do have better pricing than some local places, they have great service, and I don't have to drive across the city to get it.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Whats the price Dave and how does it work? I got the cabnet for Fathers Day, but didn't know about this.
Mickey, It was $129.99 + $12.99 shipping. It works Great! No visible dust while blasting. They were out of stock for quite awhile. Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What media are you guys using?? I'm using the glass bead media from HF. I don't have ANY noticeable dust in my garage. I'm using a cheapy shop vac hooked up to the left of my cabinet and it does "pretty good" at giving me a clear area in the cabinet to work in.

I haven't bought the reclaimer as it is almost as much as the cabinet was.
Did you hook up the shop vacuum to the port on the left side of the cabinet? Thats where I had mine and then found out that it's supposed to be on the rear port of the cabinet. It works much better now (especially with the reclaimer). Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts