Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
my name is Chris and I'm from Germany.

Since my wife and I have been searching for a nice '57 in Europe the past two years without finding anything suitable, in December 2009 we finally made the decision to serach directly in the motherland of all Chevys...

Staying in contact with another guy from Germany who actually lives in San Diego we found our baby in February 2010:

She is a 1957 One-Fifty Tudor Sedan - that grew form six to eight cylinders (350 small block) - slightly rodded with Clay Smith Cams, Sanderson Heders and Flowmaster exhausts, 4 gear manual shift, 4.11 Gearbox. She runs on white walls and a lowererd suspension, slowing down by disc brakes (front only). Let's say her pre-owner did a nice job - also by mounting a new ididit column and a rack and pinion steering. Thank you! - we will keep her in good shape continuing and finishing your work...
She is just right to blow away all these poorly motorized European "Recycling Containers" running around here.

We love her :happy0030:

She arrived in April but it took until the 1st of July 2010 to make her street legal in Germany - 1st of July 1957 was also her first day on the streets of America - Coincidence or providence?

Still in grey primer, we hope to get the paintjob done this winter (and due to our climate we are oblieged to do so - Germany is not California):
From front to paint dividers we want to paint her in dark red (maybe some ghost flames). Roof, A-, B- and C- pillars, Trunk and above paint divider will become (flat?) black.

Will post some pics...as soon as I find out how to :sign0020:

Bye.

·
Premium Member
8,509 Posts
Autobahn thru Germany

Hey,
my name is Chris and I'm from Germany.

4 gear manual shift, 4.11 Gearbox. She runs on white walls and a lowererd suspension, slowing down by disc brakes (front only).She is just right to blow away all these poorly motorized European "Recycling Containers" running around here. We love her :happy0030: will post some pics...as soon as I find out how to :sign0020:Bye.
Chris, congrats on your newly acquired 57, I've driven the Autobahn several times thru Germany and really appreciated the way everyone there actually moved over and drove mostly in the right lane, using the middle lane only to pass and only moved into the far left lane, well, let's just say if you weren't running 120+km/h, you didn't go there and everyone understands you MUST stay out of that lane unless absolutely necessary, :eek: and people respect that. :tu Here in the states, it's NUTS, we got people here who insist on driving 50 in the far left lane...:confused0006:

Anyway, I ran 4:11 with 4spd for years, and at 70mph, my engine was wrapping 4200rpm, however, now, I'm still running 4:11's, but now have installed a 5 spd Tremec, with 5th gear being overdrive and I love it. Now at 70mph, I'm only clicking 2200rpm, so man, if I could get to the autobahn as easily as you'll be able to with your 57, I'd recommend a gear change for your ride, then you'd really blow'em away and never leave the far left lane !!! :rolleyes: but of course, drive safely and remain under control... :tu

·
Registered
207 Posts
Welcome Chris!! What part of Deutchland do you live in?? I was stationed in Schwaback, outside Nuremberg Jan '68-May '70 and really loved it!!

Friend of mine reinlisted and brought a '69 Mustang mach 1 over and I know it really loved those autobahns--I can only imaging how your "57 will take to them--again, Welcome

·
Registered
19,497 Posts
WELCOME

Welcome to trifive Chris... Sounds like you found a great 57... Later, Dave

·
RIP 11/24/2021
68,223 Posts
:five: hi chris and welcome. good to have you here and nice intro. congrats and have fun with that 57.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
:wavey::wavey:Welcome, Chris. Yep, you gotta re-gear that '57, or move up to another trans. I was stationed in Montana in the early '60s, no daytime speed limit, and we blew us our fair share trying to run floorboarded all the time. Have fun with her, but be safe! I know you will. Charles

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Anyway, I ran 4:11 with 4spd for years, and at 70mph, my engine was wrapping 4200rpm, however, now, I'm still running 4:11's, but now have installed a 5 spd Tremec, with 5th gear being overdrive and I love it. Now at 70mph, I'm only clicking 2200rpm, so man, if I could get to the autobahn as easily as you'll be able to with your 57, I'd recommend a gear change for your ride, then you'd really blow'em away and never leave the far left lane !!! :rolleyes: but of course, drive safely and remain under control... :tu
Thanks for your hint!
I have got an original rear axle so I could change that to go faster but I like the idea with a 5 spd gear better...Well...for now it has to remain 4 spd. Can't effort 2.500 € to buy a new gear at the moment but anyways I will not sell this car any more.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I agree, it looks like you need to set up that Chevy for the Autobahn. Have you got sway bars and seat belts as well?

Keep us posted!

Geoff B

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.