Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the electric opening kit from Rocky Mountain.

Was wondering if anyone did any other conversion on a 55? I would like to
something like the 56 with a drop down lens. Just testing the waters so I don't
reinvent the wheel.

·
Registered
235 Posts
My gas tank door was deleted, and I briefly thought about using that setup, but decided it was way too complicated and too much money just to pour gas in the tank. So, I decided to use this nifty 90 degree vented fuel filler neck that was $79 shipped, which will be simply installed on the inner trunk wall opposite of where the door was. Got it from fillernecksupply. Doesn't show in this picture but there is a bung on the other side for a vent.
IMG_8110.JPG

·
Registered
946 Posts
It would be very difficult to make a '55 Chevy drop down tail light match the other tail light. A pull-out might work. With the '56 larger tail light the chrome bezel stays in place when the lens is dropped down to refuel. If I had a '55 Chevy I would probably waste no time buying Rocket Mountain's system. Yes $419.00 is a bit pricey. For only $30.00 more includes the remote control. Love it! My main concern would be when it closes, does it line up with the body?

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
I have seen a few of the rocky mountain tail light conversions. Some the fit was poor and others looked good. I think it depends on the conditions you are starting with.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Another concern is you better hope it opens when the gas gauge is on empty, and then how could you possibly take it apart to repair when it's stuck closed.

·
Registered
65,816 Posts
get a 56! :tomato:

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Rescue 55 good question. If I wanted to get one I would ask them before I buy it. Like Carl mine came with with a hidden gas fill.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Another thing I would consider, is how would everything keep working over time with rain splash and dirt on it? It is a pretty much wide open area around the lights. Wouldn't last long in the winter which trashed these cars pretty fast way back when. I don't plan on ever getting my car wet again once it's on the road, which would help with that setup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts