Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the Caltracs ready and put the 9" under the car..Whoops! the backing plates on the 9" go over the housing end about 3/4" further than the stocker..
being that I made the 9" At 58"OAW, I now have a "press fit w/ the outer shackle bolts and the edge of the spring plate.
Should have done the spring pocket kit while the frame was on the roto and unpainted!:mad::mad:
It's a real challenge w/ the car nearly done and me working upside down.
SURE AM GLAD I have a plasma cutter! [Even if I did burn a nice hole in my ribs!]
Oh well, This just reaffirms that Murphy lives here!:frown:

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It appears that

Chuck i thought that was just the way it was supposed to go.:D
Terry
you are correcto!!!:biggrin:

Off to the parts guy for a "pocket kit". i think they call it a pocket kit, as they get in your pocket when you buy 1!!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Hindsite!! is always 20/20, For years I thought standing on your head was the only way to work on these cars. Life is good and we make do. So post some pics and good luck.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Ran into the same problem with my narrow 9" and big ford drum brakes. couldn't get the u-bolt slid past the backing plate e-brake cable humps. Rear disk brake kit solved the problem. No cutting necessary,,but a extra $400 spent. really wanted rear disk anyways,,,lol.:)

·
Registered
37,977 Posts
Then there's Murphy's brother Stanley, occasionally he'll smash your thumb and cut your hands and fingers, but otherwise he's pretty handy. :eek:

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It must have..

Then there's Murphy's brother Stanley, occasionally he'll smash your thumb and cut your hands and fingers, but otherwise he's pretty handy. :eek:
been Stanley that burned the hole in my ribs! His brother was too busy making problems w/ getting the brkts measured up..!:biggrin:

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
you are correcto!!!:biggrin:

Off to the parts guy for a "pocket kit". i think they call it a pocket kit, as they get in your pocket when you buy 1!!
You can buy steel and save by building your own.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FINALLY!!

Got the pockets in and welded...Even avoided being admitted to the IC burn unit!
Got 3 NASTIES out of the deal, including a couple "dingleberries" in my ears.
Sure makes the sound of searing flesh easier to hear!:eek: [Even melted the outer end of my ear plug....]
NOT nearly as "pretty" as doing them at the right time. But, they are in, and a bit more grinding and some "frame in a spray can", it's as good as it's gonna get.! [Can't see them at 80mph from the other lane, on the interstate, anyway!]:biggrin:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,812 Posts
Chuck....Some more hindsight.....Never been there and done that.....Just thinking out loud here.....A thought just occured to me (Danger, Will Robinson} If you went to disc, could you have avoided needing a pocket kit?:confused0006:

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
This just reaffirms that Murphy lives here!

I just checked my garage... I think some of Murphy's personnel belongings are still in my garage. Should I ship them to you address. Nevermind... He'll be back!!

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FINALLY!!!

I did the minimum on the grinding, and applied a couple coats of "frame in a can"...All is as well as it's going to get!
1 last "tweak" was in order...The kit is made w/ 1/4" box material..:eek:
And, due to it's thickness is a snug fit w/ the Caltracs. Of course, Murphy was helping me and I had to "pooch" the pass side out, just a bit.
Murph had used the porta-power last, and blew the seal out of the head unit...:frown:
Never fear..1 of my trusty "inventions" came to the rescue! A 5/8 bolt screwed into an all thread connector nut, made a perfect "jack"...2 shots and all was gtg! [Sometimes I scare myself w/ being overly cleaver!!]:biggrin:

Rearend is in, u-bolts cut to length, hsg aligned and centered. A measurement comparison:
Outer fender lip to wheel mt face w/ stock axle = 7".
W/ 9", [cut to 58"OAW], in place = 8".
Now, the fun comes... Getting a wheel sized to fit:
The plan is Billet Specialties Streetlites. 17 x 7 ft,[215/50], and 17 x 8,[255/50] or 9.5 on the rear. Most likely 8" on the rear w/ a bit less b/s for a bit better look..IMO, the 9.5" wheel would need a 275 tire to look right, and may be a "press fit". Y/N??

Need to take a day or 2 on "easy street" to let the bruises and burns calm down a bit! So, I'm off to the Chevy store to spend some more of my kid's inheritance$$:smile:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts