Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a grant aftermarket steering wheel on my wagon. The horn works fine when I need it but it also goes off from time to time, on its own when I turn the steering wheel. I removed the grant horn button and disconnected the 2 contact wires for the horn in there and taped off the horn clips on the 2 wires. It still goes off from time to time when I turn the steering wheel. So frustrating and embarrasing. HELP Please!

·
Administrator
67,972 Posts
The horn wire must be grounding somewhere or being pinched as your turning the steering wheel, if you have original column wiring there should be a green connector at the bottom of your column which is for the horn.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
The OEM color for the wire where it exits the column is tan/ brown. But, some of the repos sold do have green wires. You can see the wire in this photo, it is the bottom wire in the retaining clip.

The problem could also be that your steering column upper bearing which also has the horn contact and wire is bad. When you turn the wheel, is there any up and down or side to side play? I had this problem on a previous Tri-Five that I owned.

Steve

Green Bicycle handlebar Bumper Bag Auto part

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Auto part Gas
Fixture Gas Auto part Machine Metal
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Auto part Gas

Fixture Gas Auto part Machine Metal

The horn wire must be grounding somewhere or being pinched as your turning the steering wheel, if you have original column wiring there should be a green connector at the bottom of your column which is for the horn.
The OEM color for the wire where it exits the column is tan/ brown. But, some of the repos sold do have green wires. You can see the wire in this photo, it is the bottom wire in the retaining clip.

The problem could also be that your steering column upper bearing which also has the horn contact and wire is bad. When you turn the wheel, is there any up and down or side to side play? I had this problem on a previous Tri-Five that I owned.

Steve

View attachment 356260

Steve

View attachment 356260
2574181, member: 33781"]

Steve

View attachment 356260
[/QUOTE]

Steve

View attachment 356260
Thanks Steve I think I may have found my issue. The brass ring at the top of my steering column has worn down to the plastic ring behind it. I am assuming when turning the wheel the little horn plunger button is hooking on the defect causing the horn to your thoughts?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
View attachment 356287 View attachment 356286 View attachment 356287
View attachment 356286

Steve

View attachment 356260
Thanks Steve I think I may have found my issue. The brass ring at the top of my steering column has worn down to the plastic ring behind it. I am assuming when turning the wheel the little horn plunger button is hooking on the defect causing the horn to your thoughts?
[/QUOTE]
Now where can I purchase a new copper, ring? Suggestions?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
View attachment 356287 View attachment 356286 View attachment 356287
View attachment 356286

Steve

View attachment 356260
[/QUOTE]
You were right on the money about the steering column upper bearing Steve. Well done and thank you very much.
Body jewelry Natural material Amber Wood Earrings

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I would say that the upper bearing is definately your problem. These bearings are readily available on E-Bay. The new repos are much better than in earlier years (which were mostly plastic), and are built just like the originals were. Here is a link to a good one.

Steve

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would say that the upper bearing is definately your problem. These bearings are readily available on E-Bay. The new repos are much better than in earlier years (which were mostly plastic), and are built just like the originals were. Here is a link to a good one.

[/URL]

Steve
Thanks

Steve
Thanks Steve. I don't have paypal but I will find one.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
You do not need Paypal, a credit card will suffice. As stated in your other post, this part is Danchuck part 008. You can call them and order the part.
Here is the phone number to I5 classic Chevy that I recommended: 615-225-8592

Steve

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts