Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Holes in trunk lid?

4K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  johnonetrillion 
#1 ·
Doing a trial fit of my trunk lid today we saw an array of holes on the vertical side:

Five for the Vee. Ok.

One large for the lock. Ok.

Two raised – I guess they are for the number plate. Ok.

And below, three more in an inverted vee. By reference to photos of other cars, these look like they would be covered by the number plate in any case. So, would they have been used to further secure the number plate, or are they remnants from something else? They look factory.

Cheers

#4 ·
Sorry, yes, it is a 57.

Was also wondering about some sort of accessory, say a continental kit, but knowing the car's history (Saturday night special) that seems unlikely.

There are definitely three extra holes, in an inverted triangle, the same width apart as the number plate holes, beneath everything else.

#6 ·
Hey there Neddy. Yes, plenty of progress – mostly finishing off all the mechanicals, just on the Smiths heater now. Was down working on it with Des this morning, hanging the boot lid and doors. Was good to see the thing looking a bit more like a car again! Will fire it up for the first time in a few weeks, then sort out the front sheet metal before (hopefully) getting it painted. Then the run to finish it ...

Hope all's well with you.

#7 ·
John, check what Terry mentioned about a rubber bumper being mounted there, if my memory serves me right, it's to keep the license plate from vibrating and making metal contact against the trunk lid. Danchuk or Eckler's may carry it for the '57, check it out and then you can be sure.

:blowtiedb:

#9 ·
Thanks, Terry.

I have been trying to post a pic of my boot lid, but the server looks like it is not taking uploads. (Would also appreciate knowing how I can add pics to the 'garage' section of my profile!)

Anyway, I have two additional holes in my lid. They are below the single hole for the rubber stop (for vibration). They are about the same distance apart as are the number plate mount holes, and about 2-3" up from the lip.

Could they have been for rubber stops on a Continental kit? (But like I said, I doubt my car ever had one.)

Either way, maybe I just fill them?

Cheers

#10 ·
#16 ·
my first thread was that question and later found out the dealer were car was sold drilled and placed there name tag above the chevrolet emblem.
Thanks, Chel. I see what you mean. What you describe does sound like a dealer badge – above the V8 vee. (And here's me getting annoyed about a sticker that a local Holden/GM dealer put on the back of my new car last year!)

#13 ·
(Would also appreciate knowing how I can add pics to the 'garage' section of my profile!)
John i`m no help on the garage pics. I`ve never had any luck with that one either. Go to "user cp" in the tool bar and open an album here on site, that is easier for me.
Terry

#15 ·
Go to "user cp" in the tool bar and open an album here on site, that is easier for me.
Terry
Yes, I have done that, to an extent, except the server seems very dodgey wrt uploading pics. Times out 9 out of 10 attempts. Have mailed CT for help.

#14 ·
#21 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.