Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1956 Nomad
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Holy Bondo Batman! ** New pics of the fun!

*New pics in a new post at the end.

I really hope the man that did this hack job is rotting in the ground somewhere. The car was originally left behind in primer when my dad had to transfer with the airforce, the body was finished and then shipped to VA all painted a few months later. looked pretty good, super straight.

I do not think this guy knew what a dent removal tool was, or was sponsored by bondo. So now my winter project may have to extend out to summer depending on how much more 1/4"-3/8" thick areas I find and have to work the metal. Thankfully I have two good friends that specialize is fixing dents for a living.

These are the two worst areas that I can see now. the area under the eyebrows on the fenders is pretty thick, and who knows what the rocker panels will look like. i know the car got new lower quarters, new rockers, and floors. all the other metal is original 56 stuff.

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
I think I used to have its sister.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
That´s pretty normal so called ´older restoration...´ :)

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Bondo is cheaper by the gallon ain't it? That is a shame . Mike

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
the body was finished and then shipped to VA all painted a few months later. looked pretty good, super straight.
How long ago was that? Sounds like he was an artist, but just not with metal.

My 69 pickup (now my son's) had some bondo repairs done (by me, I admit it) back in 1991 that still look fine. After 22 years you'd need a magnet to find them. They're not as thick as yours though.

·
Registered
1956 Nomad
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this was all done in 89-90. My dad knew what metal had to be replaced and was around for most of it. my dad told me going into this that there were some spots that had been bondo'd to help with gaps, and across the seams for the quarter patches, but he was shocked to see this much, the bad part is that on that front fender there are only a few small dings, something probably a high school vo-tech class could smooth out.

The car looked super straight, not a ripple anywhere. The reason all this is coming to light is that the paint basically fell off the car, started getting spider webs and then pieces just fell off.

There is so much wrong with the crazy bondo, the thick paint, the thin paint, the 4 different primers I cannot figure out what the cause was. So down to bare metal and start from scratch.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,188 Posts
Restoration work (straighten/weld/repair) and production (down and dirty/fast) are not the same Quality. But lots of people believe so. Only to find out later they did not get what they thought they were getting. Though the years I have had people approach me about doing fast work, I just tell them this conversation is over..........Bondo shaping is never Quality work.

Mikey

·
Registered
899 Posts
well at least you should get better gas mileage with all that mud gone. go on a diet and shed 200 pounds. jeff

·
Registered
352 Posts
I had an Olds Cutlass than I was sanding for paint that had at least 1 inch thick bondo in the quarter panel right behind the passenger door! I don't think the "body" guy tried to knock the dent out, they just paved over it!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Are you planning on replacing all the bondoed panels? It's gonna take a heck of a body man to move them outward to replace the putty. Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I've seen better and I've seen worse. There are no Body work Inspectors. Folks are guided by their own ethics and morals. Here is the good news...you can make make all right. You know what you're dealing with! :anim_25:

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I think I used to have its sister.
And I have her twin right now...

Keep your head up , replace it correctly and move on with confidence... Look up a few of my threads to see what I found on my gal..I'm a year beind schedule now. Keep plugging

·
Registered
1956 Nomad
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will keep everyone updated through pictures. I was not going to take a bunch since it was just going to be a strip it and paint it.

The fender I know can probably be fixed and just need a skim coat, it appears there was not any attempt at metal work.

·
Registered
1956 Nomad
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What gets me is that the bondo would have lasted till kingdom come
Actually, other parts of the quarter panels, the bondo is falling off along with the paint.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
What gets me is that the bondo would have lasted till kingdom come
Yep...that's what gets me too. I'll agree that that's a lot of bondo (although I've seen worse) and it's beyond it's intended purpose. Here's the thing...there's nothing wrong with body putty used correctly. If done correctly, it'll last just as long as lead/sheet metal.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts