Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my newly ordered Global West lower control arms. These things are MONSTERS! If you're looking for a strong control arm, there's really no comparison out there. The tubing diameter is about 1 5/8"...much larger than Heidts' control arms which are about 1 3/16" in diameter. On top of that, the control arms are reinforced at the pivot points with extra material. These are pretty heavy and they're about $75 more than the Heidts LCA's...but come with Del-a-lum bushings. They make the Heidts stuff look like toothpicks.

Take a look at these bad boys.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,714 Posts
Hutch....I have heard that they will interfere with the CPP 500 steering box.....Will you be running one?

·
Registered
37,250 Posts
They look unnecessarily heavy to me, but that's a whole lot better than the same amount too light.

I see that the shaft nuts have castellated nuts. If the nuts stay in place, do the bushings stay in place?

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm just going to run just the lowers for now so I don't think there's any way the LCA's could interfere with the 500 box (which yes, I already have).

Rick...yeah, probably overkill...I'd rather err on that side of things though.

Are you asking if the bushings will pivot or not or if they will back off or not? If the latter, my understanding is as follows. There's a stud that's welded to the control arm shafts and the castle nuts are threaded onto that stud. So unless that weld is broken, I don't see how the bushings could back out of the arms. To be honest, that's a big reason I got these particular arms (given my experience with my Heidts LCAs...that and I have eyelet style lower shock mounts and these do too (although GW offers t-bar mounts as well).

Also, it's hard to see, but there's a bolt on these LCAs that is an adjustable steering stop. Nice feature given the problems folks have reported with loss of turning radius.

GW is building some custom rear leafs for me as well that are not only a higher rate than stock (probably around 150-160 lb/in), but have more leaf material at the front than a stock spring to reduce wheel hop. They offer this same feature for F-body springs (they're called L-2 springs) and they said they could do the same for my '56. Link to L-2 springs. Great folks to deal with thus far. Much better service than I've had with CPP by a long shot.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,714 Posts
I'm just going to run just the lowers for now so I don't think there's any way the LCA's could interfere with the 500 box (which yes, I already have).
Your right my friend....I missed that they were LCA's.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Got the Heidts LCA's off today and mounted the driver's side GW LCA thus far. Was getting kinda late so I'll put the other one on tomorrow.

Impressions of the GW LCA's are positive. Fit great, are very heavy, an the bushings are very tight with absolutely no slop or flex at all. They're so tight in fact that the lower LCA will sit parallel to the garage floor with nothing holdings it up.

Here are some comparison pics between the Heidts LCA's and the GW's.

Cheers fellas! Great weekend to be working on hotrods!

Oh, btw...the Heidts LCA's I have are now for sale if anyone is interested. I need to clean them up a bit (just dusty). One ball joint seal has a small tear in it so it may need replacing and I would highly suggest replacing the bushings. Other than that, they're good pieces. You'll need eyelet style lower shock mounting points to use these btw...you should be able to convert a t-bar setup with little trouble though...pretty sure QA-1 sells conversion kits for that purpose. New Heidts stuff is about $725 for the LCA's...I'd like $350 plus the ride for these and I'm firm on that price.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I switched from Heidt UCA to GW, and same impressions.. heavy and strong, and I like the err on the strong side as well!

I have a CPP500 box, and there is interference until you add an alignment shim or two, which most our cars need more than that any way, then it clears :) In the future, I may switch the lowers as well, but for now... I'll keep driving!

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Busy...long time no talk! Do you have any pictures of the clearance between your GW uppers and the 500 box? I'd go that route if I knew they'd clear just to have a matching set of uppers and lowers.

Glad to hear we have the same impressions. These aren't cheap, but honestly they aren't much more than the Heidts stuff anyhow.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Hey Busy...long time no talk! Do you have any pictures of the clearance between your GW uppers and the 500 box? I'd go that route if I knew they'd clear just to have a matching set of uppers and lowers.

Glad to hear we have the same impressions. These aren't cheap, but honestly they aren't much more than the Heidts stuff anyhow.
Hutch, as you can see I have a lot of shims, but even after just two shims it cleared the box..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts