Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Ever been covered with plasitc? That will do it. Otherwise, it must be due to too much paint build up. Heavy laq. will do that quickly. I painted a 57 deck lid once that had been painted three times before and it began to crack 6 months later sitting in a garage.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No plastic, been in the garage mostly this winter. Just happened this past week, and it's been painted like that for over 2 years. So, I don't know what gives.

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Well it just about has to be an adhesion problem. The problem my and most likely was in the base paint/primer. If it is all the way to the steel, the primer and all is coming off.
To fix it, sand it to bare metal and spray it with etching primer first and then with a good urethane primer. If you prefer not to use etching primer, treat the metal with metal conditioner before priming.

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Hi Travis
Yup sure looks like an adhesion problem to me . Looks like an easy strip job though . I could put my 2 cents in But Mike pretty much covered it . I had a customers Corvette that looked the same way a few years back so we hand stripped and regelcoated and had spot problems in random areas. :confused:
The Vette came with lost of history allthe way back to the original owner. Reading it one evening I got to the part were a fellow who had a machine shop that worked on primarily Case heavy equipment had a slow spot and had his workers strip the Vette and ready it for a resto. After the strip the fellows got a blast of work and the Vette sat for a month with open fiberglass and gelcoat. Back to work on it they primered (with no sealer) and locked all the airborn contaminants into the fiberglass . I worked my butt off chasing these areas for a month fixing ,sealing , set out in the sun every day hen possible. Finaly painting with out any problems . Boy did I have to work for that paint job. Good thing customer lived in the next town and could see what it took to get it there. This was a 67 roadster 435 horse tripower car that al it was going to do is go to shows so cost was not to much of a problem . But having a contience I trimmed the hour to where I did not take a bath and the owner did not have to re-morgage. I guess in he long and short is most cars hat come in for a complete paint I dont so much worry why they got so bad they have to be stripped any ways . But every once in a while you have to know what happened to be able to fix it. :cool:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Not to hijack, but I often cover my project 56 (epoxy primer) with plastic while cleaning/ grinding/ painting parts in the garage, am I doing wrong?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts