Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a hard time trying to sand curves and what have ya to match exactly, had a beer and a light bulb went off, came up with a trick that works great. Using a foam block and what ever the other black block is made of, some kind of soft rubber I think, I installed 80 grit to follow the curves (in this case the rocker and quarter panel) sanded the block until the exact shape was made. Applied sand paper to the home made contour block and wala! I would think other materials would work like balsa wood, etc.

I'm sure somebody else has thought of this but I've never seen a post about it.

Just thought I'd pass this trick along to help the newbies (like me).

Tell me I'm stupid now. :sign0020:

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of foam did you use to make the blocks and where did you get it?

Much apprieciated thats where I'm at curves on my 56',....
The black block in the pic is a Wonder Block by Motor Guard, feels like soft rubber. I would bet Dura Blocks can be sanded also.

The foam blocks I have came in a kit, they are called Soft-Sanders.

Not sure I can post url's. Use Goggle to fine a store.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Way to go Doc!!!:congrats: Ain't nothing gonna stop us from our goal of getting done....

I ground both edges of a 12" Durablock to fit the radii between the front fender well lip and the ridge where the chrome spear mounts. It worked perfect.

Different sizes of fuel line work well for smaller curves. Radiator hoses work also.

I also used a 16" piece of the black 3" foam pipe insulation for the rocker panels. Got it at Lowes. Saved lots of time too.

I'm amazed at what can be found around the shop for blocking.

Be creative.....

Don

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
For years i have used straight sections of radiator hose and heater hose for sanding blocks. Works great inside curved areas. Cheap too!

·
Registered
38,740 Posts
You don't have to buy something made for sanding. There are lots of foam products around. You want stiff foam, then sand and shape it to what you need.

Besides various sizes of rubber hose, you can put pipe insulation over a hose, tube, broomstick, whatever you have or can find at the hardware store.

You can shape plain paper around the block, or you can use adhesive backed paper (PSA).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.