Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made the homemade master cylinder pressure bleeder yesterday, applied 20psi, and it worked 2 times then, I got sprayed as the rubber was to thin, as well as the plate thickness to thin. Making a new one but does anyone know where to get rubber I looked all over and no one has any in there store. Thanks.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,704 Posts
I have an old inner tube around that I used for mine.....If you can't find what you need, send me a PM and I'll wack off a hunk for ya.

How thick was your plate, BTW.....I wouldn't go any less than 1/4"

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just had 20 gauge around, going to machine shop tommorow for 1/4 aluminum, I have a inner tube I bought but didnt think that was thick enough, but if it work for you, then it must work.

·
51,704 Posts
I have a inner tube I bought but didnt think that was thick enough, but if it work for you, then it must work.
Mine is a auto inner tube, not bicycle....So, its probably thicker.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Back in the day you could get rubber in sheets of all thickness, crazy all we have now is inner tubes.

·
Registered
37,243 Posts
Try McMaster-Carr's website. They have rubber sheet in just about any description you'd want.

EPDM is a rubber compound that won't get eaten up by rubber. It's what the seals are made of.

The harder the rubber, the less likely that pressure will distort a gasket.

Containing a gasket with a step on the sealing plate will help.

Last thing, why use 20 psi? That's really a lot. Try 5 psi. Use a bicycle pump or a pump for a basketball if you can't control the pressure.

Use your head and you can get there.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great thought Rick I can dial my compressor down to 5 psi, and try new rubber thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Just a thought here for you, go to a local landscape company that sells pond supplies. They will have pond liner that is 4 to 5 mil thick, that should work good for you, it is edpm rubber. I have a nice backyard pond and this is what is used to build the pond. They also sell it in small squares for repair to your line if needed.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Back in the day you could get rubber in sheets of all thickness, crazy all we have now is inner tubes.
Try McMaster-Carr's website. They have rubber sheet in just about any description you'd want.

EPDM is a rubber compound that won't get eaten up by rubber. It's what the seals are made of.

The harder the rubber, the less likely that pressure will distort a gasket.

Containing a gasket with a step on the sealing plate will help.

Last thing, why use 20 psi? That's really a lot. Try 5 psi. Use a bicycle pump or a pump for a basketball if you can't control the pressure.
Use your head and you can get there.
Here you go - neoprene - Not very many chemicals effect it.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#=n6mcyo

·
Registered
896 Posts
Try Lowes. I was in Lowes recently in the plumbing section and they had some sheets (maybe 6" square or larger) of, what I guess, is rubber gasket/seal material. Don't know what kind of rubber it is but it is pretty thick.

·
51,704 Posts
AJ....Before using my bleeder, I glued the rubber to the plate.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Plumbing supply house. 1/8" rubber sheet gasket material. The red is normally std. rubber, the black reenforced rubber.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
built (and used) my cover today. used a piece of 1/4" steel plate. Drilled a 3/8" hole in the plate and welded in a 1/4" air disconnect to plug in easily. ground a groove in the plate where the fluid could go from side to side with no problem, notched the gasket on same area. Couldn't find a piece of rubber lying around so cut a chunk from an old "doggie door flap". Yes anything pliable that isn't effected by brake fluid will work. Was about 1/8" thick. set the plate and gasket on top of cylinder and attached with two c-clamps.
Everything worked great, not a drip. Now have a great brake pedal!!!

·
51,704 Posts
Sounds like you made yourself a very useful tool Warren. :):congrats:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ouch

I found rubber at ACE hardware store 6X6 inches in a pack of two glued it down, first bled master, and have beed bleeding for long time only have about 2-3 inches from floor, cant seem to get it any better.
I was told pressure bleeder would force air into the system by an old brake guy he told me to gravity bleed, tried that to no aval.
Also I have a blinking Dakota Digital on the temp, any way to reset it? Thanks

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I found rubber at ACE hardware store 6X6 inches in a pack of two glued it down, first bled master, and have beed bleeding for long time only have about 2-3 inches from floor, cant seem to get it any better.
I was told pressure bleeder would force air into the system by an old brake guy he told me to gravity bleed, tried that to no aval.
Also I have a blinking Dakota Digital on the temp, any way to reset it? Thanks
My pressure bleeder (bought from an auction $20.) is a tank with a bellows in the center. Fluid on top, air in bottom. No way to get air into system (well, unless the bellows sprung a leak). Holds a gallon of fluid. Keeps pressure on the entire system while bleeding. Takes about 10 minutes to do all four wheels (twice). I run a clear hose from the wheel bleeder to a plastic container and watch the air bubbles move out of the system!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts