Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 56 had no hood hinge springs. So I clean up the hinges, bought the right springs for them and put them on. Mounted them up on the firewall and put the hood on. When you close the hood it latches in the front but the rear corners of the hood stay about 3/8ths of an inch high relative to the fenders and cowl. If you go push down on hood in each corner it sits right down where it's supposed to be. Any ideas why or how to fix that? Is that because the springs are so new and tight? Because when you push down on the corners, it does stretch the springs open a tad more.

Ideas? I'm putting the body back together to do the body work.

·
Registered
37,237 Posts
You need to shim the hinges. On the firewall, add shims at the bottom. Or on the hood add shims at the back. I would try the firewall first.

I know it sounds backwards, but it works!

·
Registered
535 Posts
LUBE THEM UP

Before you use any shims make sure you properly lubricate the hinges. THEN, lube the hinges again just to be thorough. You probably don't need anything else. There have been numerous threads on this.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
I had the same issue with mine. Plus, the hood wouldn't stay up on its own. I first lubricated the hinges, didn't help. Next I replaced the hood springs. That sort of helped but the hood still didn't seem real secure. Lastly, I replaced the hinges. That corrected the hood not staying up AND it corrected the rear of the hood not closing correctly.

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
I havent had much success with old hinges, if the spacers dont work Mel`s option should work for you :anim_25:

·
Registered
37,237 Posts
If you can see that the rivets have sloppy holes, or if something is obviously bent, that's one thing.

Otherwise, shimming can do lots of wonders. And the nice thing is that it is dirt cheap and doesn't take much time. You don't have much to lose.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts