Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on another thread, "aluminum radiator on e-bay", there was a little discussion about the "hood baffle". where exactly was it cut out. i guess for the radiator cap? i did`nt know there were different ones. or are there?

·
Registered
38,602 Posts
On a 55-56 6 cylinder radiator, the inlet where the top hose goes is centered on the radiator and the hose barb runs horizontal.

On a 57 6 cylinder radiator, the inlet where the top hose goes is offset to one side slightly and the hose barb runs at an upward angle from the radiator tank. This is because the 57 hood is a bit lower than on a 55-56.

The baffle has a cutout in it for the hose to pass through.

So you can't swap 6 cylinder radiators directly from a 55-56 to a 57, or the other way, without having interference between the upper radiator hose and the baffle.

Someone posted a photo that showed that a couple of weeks ago.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,059 Posts
55/56 cut out in the center....57 cut out to the driver's side.

·
55,059 Posts

·
Registered
38,602 Posts
V8 radiators and hoses aren't going to interfere with ANY hood baffles, so they aren't a problem.

Likewise, a crossflow radiator installed in front of the radiator support is not going to have a problem either, since the hose isn't going to pass above the support.

I filled the cutout in my baffle so it could do a better job of "baffling".

·
55,059 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
V8 radiators and hoses aren't going to interfere with ANY hood baffles, so they aren't a problem.

Likewise, a crossflow radiator installed in front of the radiator support is not going to have a problem either, since the hose isn't going to pass above the support.

I filled the cutout in my baffle so it could do a better job of "baffling".
Actually Rick there is a problem... I am moving my V8 radiator out to the 6cyl position in my '57. So now the baffle is going to hit the upper radiator hose.

·
55,059 Posts
Good point Belair.....Although I'm sure Rick meant, when they are in their original position.....Now you have two choices.......Either modify your baffle for the radiator hose clearance or buy a 6 cyl radiator.

·
Registered
38,602 Posts
"Actually Rick there is a problem... I am moving my V8 radiator out to the 6cyl position in my '57. So now the baffle is going to hit the upper radiator hose."

A problem you created. And it's essentially the same as trying to use a 55-56 6 cylinder radiator in a 57.

My advice: tin snips, a saw, and a welder. Maybe some bondo and primer surfacer.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Good point Belair....Now you have two choices.....Either modify your baffle for the radiator hose clearance or buy a 6 cyl radiator.
Well Dave... :confused0006: I think I will go with modify my baffle. Because I just bought my new aluminum radiator. Wasn't thinking about the baffle... otherwise I would have went with the 6cyl radiator. :rolleyes:

·
55,059 Posts
Well Dave... :confused0006: I think I will go with modify my baffle. Because I just bought my new aluminum radiator. Wasn't thinking about the baffle... otherwise I would have went with the 6cyl radiator. :rolleyes:
No doubt that will be your cheapest/easiest way out....Good luck on the project....Send us photos :)

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,878 Posts
I used part of the lower rad baffle and added it to the upper baffle for hose clearance. Some day I will fill in the 6 cyl hose slot, good day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.