Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been fighting the fitment of the cowl and back of the hood on my passenger side. I thought I'd run this picture by some of you smart guys and see if someone can tell me why it does not fit the contour of the cowl very well. I was able to adjust this out on the drivers side with the rear hood support but, if I raise it up on the passenger side to look decent, it starts to lift towards the center of the hood to make it higher than the cowl. I've tried different shim configurations on the hood hinge but, nothing that works well. It almost looks like the hood itself is not made to the same contour of the cowl. The easiest fix would be to simply make a slice to remove a sliver and weld on the inside of the cowl to pull that corner down but, not sure if that's too drastic. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
35,324 Posts
Is it the same on the other side? The cowl does not look right to me, but photos can lie.

I would tend to think modifying the cowl would be the right thing to do if the other side fits.

·
Administrator
48,482 Posts
Bill...I have this article on hand regarding the hood/fender alignment....Hopefully it will help you.

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
That looks like a lot, is the hood a reproduction?
To get it all to fit perfect, I always have to drill the spot welds on the rear hood brace, just like we talked about on the fender. The hood will easily move after the brace is loose, even with magnets.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks like a lot, is the hood a reproduction?
To get it all to fit perfect, I always have to drill the spot welds on the rear hood brace, just like we talked about on the fender. The hood will easily move after the brace is loose, even with magnets.
Ahh... good point! No the hood is original but, I didn't think about adjusting the hood like we've discussed on the fenders. Ill look it over closer to determine if I modify the cowl or the hood. I've used the method you told me about on straightening the sides on my drivers panel and it worked well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts