Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've searched the forums up and down, and I've found one other example of my situation, but because It was an old thread, I didn't want to dig it up. (Yes, I'm new, but I know that's kind of shunned on here.)
My issue is I purchased a hood emblem for my 1956 two-ten two door coupe from Harmons at a local swap meet. It is a Trim Parts part number 1304. It says '1956 & 58 v-8 hood emblem assembly' on the original trim parts tag. I took my old hood emblem assembly off (it fit snugly), and put in the new trim parts emblem. The pegs fit in all the holes correctly, but there is a 1/4 inch gap on the left side if the right side is pushed flush to the hood. (and vice versa.) Basically, the angle of the new emblem is greater than the old one.
I've contacted both trim parts and Harmons, both of which have put the ball in each others court. Harmons said they simply sell the product, and they really don't have anything to do with the fit. So this leaves me to figure out what is going on before I try to do anything with either one of them. I cant see that my hood would be wrong, especially if the old emblem fit correctly. I also cant see that the new emblem would be dented or bent that far, because doing so would crack/break the acrylic insert in the assembly. I also don't want to force it to fit for just the same reason.
So, that being said...does anybody have any ideas as to where things could be going wrong? I'm a bit bewildered, and I'd just like to replace the badges on my car... she looks so naked right now, haha...:confused0024:

68,758 Posts
have them give you another one or refund. :anim_25:...................your new and that is shunned here ? :stupido2:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Welcome Pardner! I don't know what gets shunned? We're a pretty easy going group. Sounds like a part that needs to go back to me too.

·
Official Trifive Sponsor
425 Posts
So, I've searched the forums up and down, and I've found one other example of my situation, but because It was an old thread, I didn't want to dig it up. (Yes, I'm new, but I know that's kind of shunned on here.)
My issue is I purchased a hood emblem for my 1956 two-ten two door coupe from Harmons at a local swap meet. It is a Trim Parts part number 1304. It says '1956 & 58 v-8 hood emblem assembly' on the original trim parts tag. I took my old hood emblem assembly off (it fit snugly), and put in the new trim parts emblem. The pegs fit in all the holes correctly, but there is a 1/4 inch gap on the left side if the right side is pushed flush to the hood. (and vice versa.) Basically, the angle of the new emblem is greater than the old one.
I've contacted both trim parts and Harmons, both of which have put the ball in each others court. Harmons said they simply sell the product, and they really don't have anything to do with the fit. So this leaves me to figure out what is going on before I try to do anything with either one of them. I cant see that my hood would be wrong, especially if the old emblem fit correctly. I also cant see that the new emblem would be dented or bent that far, because doing so would crack/break the acrylic insert in the assembly. I also don't want to force it to fit for just the same reason.
So, that being said...does anybody have any ideas as to where things could be going wrong? I'm a bit bewildered, and I'd just like to replace the badges on my car... she looks so naked right now, haha...:confused0024:
I had the very same problem a couple of weeks ago with a chrome V for my 56. I sent it back and got my money back ended up getting my old V re-chromed and that fit. Most of the repop stuff is close but sometimes not close enough. You may spend more money to get it re-chromed, but I gaurantee you it will fit.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
If you get with it, you can probably bend it by heating it. Might put it in the oven and slowly raise the temp a little at a time. There used to be a plastic fabrication shop in town here and they could do about anything with acrylic and I think they used heat to form it.

I hope you can get your money back though.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
It says '1956 & 58 v-8 hood emblem assembly'

I'm not sure if it were for a 58 if that would fit a 56. I think those hoods are different shapes. That may be your problem. It's not for a 56.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
(Yes, I'm new, but I know that's kind of shunned on here.)???

First of all I'd like to :sign0016: you to Trifive. New members are always welcome here. . As far as your emblem goes... I would get my money back if it was me.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
(Yes, I'm new, but I know that's kind of shunned on here.)???

First of all I'd like to :sign0016: you to Trifive. New members are always welcome here. . As far as your emblem goes... I would get my money back if it was me.
:dito:What Rudy said... We don't do no stinkin shunning here feel free to ask away:five:Later, Dave

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome Aboard. But i think he was referring to digging up old posts as being shunned not new members.
Thanks, yeah, that's what I meant. I've done quite a bit of reading from the guys that have 'been there and done that,' and most of the time its worth doing a little digging on forums. I've just seen more often than not, a new poster will get a little heat for digging up an old post. It doesn't seem like you guys are that way though! (whew)

Welcome aboard? Reminds me of my Navy Days out at Pearl... :D

Thanks for all the help and encouragement everyone!

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,788 Posts
MJO.....From one old Navy guy to another, a hearty welcome aboard to TriFive shipmate.....Put your seabag down and join in the fun :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, I've gone back and forth with the manufacturer on this for a while. They said that they've been making the same part from the OEM casting mold for 25 years, and haven't heard anything like this before. They claim the stock angle in the front hood is 5 degrees, (which checks out with what I measured), and I've measured mine at roughly 14 degrees. Like I said, that's quite a difference. I called Danchuk today and they kind of helped. A bit. He couldn't take the product out of the package, but said that it was about a 5/8" angle, and before I could ask him to explain his measurement he said 'sorry I couldn't help you more,' and hung up... Awesome. So I assume that he means that its the measurement if you put one side of the emblem face down on a table (or flat surface) and measure from the table up to the pointy part on the top of the emblem (at the leftmost or rightmost side). I measured my original at 1 1/16", and the reproduction at 3/4".

WHAT A MESS! I guess I will just order the Danchuk part and cross my fingers, and return it if it doesn't fit. No wonder some of you older guys have such patience! I've gotten into the bad habit of just wanting things to work the first time. I guess its a good thing that I refuse to sell my 56 and write it off as requiring too much patience. I bought it from my grandfather for $1000 after I got out of the Navy. He would have given it to me, but my sisters would have thrown a fit ,for one, and he knew that if I invested some money in it to begin with, I'd continue to invest money in it, for two. Which I have. Somewhere around $6500 (and a TON of blood sweat and tears... especially tears) within the last two years.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
It says '1956 & 58 v-8 hood emblem assembly'

I'm not sure if it were for a 58 if that would fit a 56. I think those hoods are different shapes. That may be your problem. It's not for a 56.
I'm certainly no expert, but that's the first thing that caught my eye, 1956 and 1958......

Chuck

·
Registered
957 Posts
FWIW I used a Danchuk V on my hood (it was a six) and it fits perfect.

I bought the V a few years back though so I can't say they are the same now. I don't see why they would change.
I will try to check the original part numbers on '56 & '58's. I bet they are not the same.

1956 part no. 3722456 Ornament Assy. Ref: http://www.trifive.com/garage/56 Chevy Assembly Manual/221-16.gif

1958 part no. 3740240 Ornament "V". Group 8.055. Ref: http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/1958chevyparts/58cmpc152.htm

I don't think they look the same...

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I think the 58 used a different part. Hood is different. Nobody is shunned here whether it's you first thread or the thousandth one. Welcome aboard

1 - 20 of 28 Posts