Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 57 models, there is a slight notch or line in the jamb of the fender where the hinge clamp should align. My right side is right on the money (although the hinge is raised to the top of travel). But, the left side hinge still is too low according to the mark on the fender (even with hinge at the top of travel).

here you see the right side. looks fine. not sure yet how the hood fits.

here you see the left and it will not come up high enough to meet alignment grove. You can clearly see the line in the fender jamb area.

So.....How important is this to lining up? I'm looking for suggestions on how to fix this.

The fenders are aligned great with the cowl and the door. Do I need to try a different hinge? do I notch the body and the hinge for more upward travel?

I am worried that without a good clamp on the fender that the hinge will flex and possibly chip up the fender.

Thanks, Geoff

·
Registered
36,111 Posts
I just helped a guy put on a new pair of SS polished hinges.

They were exactly as yours, one "normal", one "low", as far as that goofy clamp. The new hinges worked fine, and the hood fit just like it did before, quite well. We had to adjust a little bit but not much.

So I don't think you have a problem until you see something else that's not right.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,418 Posts
I don't think you have a problem, as long as the clamp has some bite on the fender. Is that the hinge that came off the car? I think the indentation on the drivers side is from the old hinge clamp denting the fender, not an alignment mark. You could slot the hole in the clamp a little, as long as the slot stayed under the washer, it wouldn't be noticeable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts