Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hood is vibrating between around 20 and 35 mph, but stays calm at lower or higher speeds.

It's been like this ever since I got the car in 2006. I recently changed wheels and they were balanced as usual, so I can't see them having anything to do with it. I can't feel any vibration in the car, on the floor or in the steering wheel. Therefore it's really not a big problem - it just annoys me seeing the part of the hood behind the bird vibrate as I drive in town. I have checked clearance between the hood and the air cleaner as well and they don't touch.

Any suggestions? :confused0024:

This is the area that vibrates as I drive (marked yellow):

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Probably just harmonics in the suspension. Most cars have it. It could also be in the driveline, a driveshaft vibration or engine vibration. I probably wouldn't worry too much about it unless it becomes more noticeable.
Josh

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Jim, take a look under your hood and see if the brace that is popped riveted to either side of the hood is missing, or if the bolt that holds the rear of the hood bird is loose or missing. this bolt helps support the brace in the middle and if loose or missing will let the hood viberate. My '55 was being stripped down to make a drag car when I bought it and this brace was missing, my hood viberated like mad at road speed. Later, Charles :bowtielb:

·
12,256 Posts
It looks in the picture like the center of your hood might be bent down a little. Is the peak straight when you put a straightedge on it, or does it dip in the center? I think it should actually have a slight crown to it. My 56 hood had a similar issue. I think that would allow it to vibrate.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Terry, I just disassembled 3 hoods to get 1 good one. Is the Danchuk # 857 the anti- squeek the pad that goes under the baffel you spoke about?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for your replies and suggestions - now I have lots of thing to check! :tu

The support bars are there, but I'll have a closer look at how they are fastened and also check the hood bird mounting. And I will check the straightness of the hood from the side and I will take notice if it vibrates at the same rpm's but standing still.

The front end hasn't been aligned since I replaced a few parts before I drove it the first time in 2006 so that could very well have something to do with it, but I thought I would feel some vibration if that was the case. The car runs very smoothly so it's really not a big issue at all - just very annoying to see before my eyes as I drive.
And check to see if the hood has the anti-squeak kit between the braces and the hood.
Terry
How do you mean Terry? Could the presence of an anti squeak kit cause the vibration or could the absence of such a kit be a reason?

I'll report back when I have checked the things you have mentioned. But we just got 6 inches of snow (so far) today so I won't be driving the Chevy for a while now... They pour lots of salt on the roads here in Sweden and I don't want my Chevy to get salt soaked.

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
Could the presence of an anti squeak kit cause the vibration or could the absence of such a kit be a reason?
The cause would be the lack of the anti-squeak material there.
Terry

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Ok well nobody else went here so, some people will pay high dollars for a shaker hood!! It's probably one of the rarest options on the tri-fives!!:happy0030:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok well nobody else went here so, some people will pay high dollars for a shaker hood!! It's probably one of the rarest options on the tri-fives!!:happy0030:
Haha!!! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts