Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Whilst i am not near this scenario yet i have been thinking of my hood latch lock for some time now and have a question.
On "Alice" my 57 (like all others i presume) the hood latch is operated from outside the car with no physical locking mechanism other than the standard system to hold the hood down.
I would like to be able to "Lock" it so no one can just walk up and open the hood and just have a look (because they can and do) without permission.
Has anyone had success with a pull cable type solution?
If so please advise on what i need to make this type of conversion work. What i need and what model car the parts were procured from.
Thanks David

·
Administrator
66,194 Posts
Didnt know they were available.

I would say an early 60`s to 70`s all had locking hood latches sure you can make something work.

Just to put your mind at ease I have not yet encountered anybody trying to lift the bonnet (hood) people do wait to see if the owner is around :)

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure some have made a wrecking yard latch work but the vendors have one for a price. .... http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-in...-kit-1957.html
Has any one had success with the unit Acardon posted above ??

Didnt know they were available.

I would say an early 60`s to 70`s all had locking hood latches sure you can make something work.

Just to put your mind at ease I have not yet encountered anybody trying to lift the bonnet (hood) people do wait to see if the owner is around :)
Ang Unfortunately i have attended many shows with my restored MOKE and found when i returned from a walk around to be confronted with the doors and hood (Bonnet) opened and my alarm wailing away or someone sitting in my car in the carpark. One time i found my Battery stolen!! This is something i wish to put a halt to before i take "Alice " out for anything.

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,878 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sucks, wouldnt know how to control myself in that situation
Very long push out of the venue and a long walk to the nearest shop for a new battery :(
Unfortunately the charity fund raiser no longer has my support as they can not secure the parking facility and have a disclaimer PARK AT OWN RISK.
Once bitten NEVER AGAIN.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
309 Posts
We have always used a length of chain and a padlock. Not very pretty; but it works great and is cost effective.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hood latches

I installed one of these from Classic Chevy a year ago and it works very well.You can look at the install instuctions on their website first to see if you like the design and engineering.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts