Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 56 has a 350 with Camel Hump heads and Hooker headers. The plugs are a complete pain to try and change. Any special tools or tips? I have had many tight combo's but this one is the worst.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Some of mine l have to do from underneath, a mini starter helps with #5 and #7.
Some plug sockets can be turned with a spanner if you cant squeeze a ratchet on.
I also made up a flat bar about 18" long and welded on a 1/2" square lug to turn
a plug socket. In use this adds very little to the length of the socket.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I very well may end up taking the headers off. But I am going to try the suggestions above. I checked and there is no phone app to change them for me :sign0020:
Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
10,883 Posts
My 56 has a 350 with Camel Hump heads and Hooker headers. The plugs are a complete pain to try and change. Any special tools or tips? I have had many tight combo's but this one is the worst.
I have Hookers also and feel your pain! For #7 plug no spark plug or other socket I could find would fit so I bought another plug socket and had to grind it down to make it real narrow to squeeze in next to the header. It's ground so thin at the end I just wait for it to break each time I use it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have Hedman headers on my 57 on 291 camel humps, number 7 plug has to be done from underneath with a ring spanner and the plug wire has to go behind the head and on to the plug from underneath as well. So its not just Hookers. I think header manufacturers must base the current designs on angle plug heads only. Ian

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Smaller spark plugs will help. Here's a smaller NGK "ISO" size plug compared to a full size Champion.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike B, you have shown me what I was going to try and learn at the parts store. Was hoping to find a smaller plug. I have used the shorty header plugs in the past but did not like them. I will check out those NGK's. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
38,740 Posts
It's been 40 years since I messed with old school Hookers or Hedmans, but my best recollection is that they aren't that bad, unless they've changed things, which could easily happen.

In general, there are a lot of things that may work.

1. Certain brands of spark plug sockets may work better or worse, and you can machine or grind on them to make them a better fit.
2. Universal joints in your ratchet/socket/extension setup may help.
3. Using an open end or box end wrench on the hex on a socket may help.
4. Sometimes an offset box end wrench, either directly on the plug, or on a spark plug socket's hex, will help. I have one that I've ground on that works in some applications. This is one area where cheap Chinese wrenches are a good candidate. You can hack on them, bend them with heat, etc. to make certain deals work.
5. Some plugs are accessed better from below.

Almost any 55-57 is easier than a 62-67 Nova. I have a bunch of tricks like the above for my Nova, trouble is it's a different deal for every plug, and I forget which works on which in between needing to R&R the plugs.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Mike B
Very interesting. I have been researching (with no luck), the ngk iso plug you show, for a vortec head engine 350. The plugs that came in the heads are ac MR43LTS.
Any idea where/how to cross reference to the correct ngk plug?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Mike B
Any idea where/how to cross reference to the correct ngk plug?
Here's a good place to start:
http://www.sparkplug-crossreference.com/

AC MR43LTS = NGK BPR6EFS, but I don't know if that's a ISO or full-size NGK. I have a chart somewhere that defines each number and letter. Will post if I can find it.

Ahh, just found this: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...5M7NWQfH9G0I8ng&bvm=bv.47883778,d.eWU&cad=rja

The plugs in my picture are Champion J12YC and NGK BKR5ES. I am running the NGKs in my 9.5:1 compression 327. I have also run Bosch Platinum plugs (single electrode). The platinum electrodes last a very long time. I don't have the number though.

Even with the smaller plug, I still have to use a 5/8" box end wrench on a couple plugs. But at least the plug body has enough header tube clearance to let me slide the wrench on the plug. What's really nice is all my plug boots clear the header tubes, whereas with the full size plug a few boots were pushed up against tubes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.