Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We just pulled the engine and headers out of my 55 today for the new crate engine. It has what looks like 12-98 (Dec 1998?) headers that have a dent from the stock pitman and idler arms and dents from the upper control arms. The #1 spark plug was very difficult to remove. Is this the best fit obtainable or is there a better fitting header out there? The pulled engine is a 350CID 330 HP & the car was a 6 Cly originally. I've ordered the CPP center link, pitman and idler arm kit for the CPP 500 power steering box. I'm putting in a 350 CDI 290 HP crate engine. I'm wondering if the new components will solve some of my header issues or do I need other headers. :) Danny

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
The Earle Williams header is very similar to the Hooker 2112 as far as its features but it really does fit. Sometimes Earle's headers get close to a power steering box but nowhere else.

You may need to use the "487" pitman arm with either header to get it to clear.

Spark plug clearance is good on the engine/heads I have, which is a late model LT1 which have angled plugs. But I don't know why most other small block heads would be any different.

I'm not sure I relate to the control arm or idler arm issues.

Hooker may have fixed some of this over the years, not sure. But I've seen complaints on them about not being "just right", even if they were not way off.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply Rick. I went to the Earle Williams website and it appears he doesn't have a store set up (no information or pricing) so I went searching some more.

It kinda looks like the Hooker 2458 1-HKR Competition Headers might afford better clearance in the areas I'm having problems. I can only go by the picture to compare with my old headers in hand.

Hooker 2458-1 Competition Headers JEGS

Chevy Full Size Car/Wagon
Competition Headers
1955-57 Fullsize 265-400
1-5/8" x 30" Primary Tubes
3" Collector
High Temp Black Paint

Will not fit convertible models.
Will not fit angle plug heads.
Will fit only with block mount starter.
Will not accommodate 605 gear box.
Affordable Performance
If Hooker Super Comp headers are the world's best header, then Comp Headers are sure to be the world's best buy! Made from 30% heavier 16-gauge material that is easier to weld and lasts longer under extreme conditions. Finished with a baked-on heat resistant silicone coating. Reducers available separately.
I don't know if the 605 box is larger than the 500 box that I'll be installing.
Anyone have any experience with these? :) Danny

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
The 2458 is going to hang below the frame.

The 605 and the 500 are very close to the same size. Biggest difference in fit is that their biggest spots are in slightly different locations. The 605's biggest spot is on the cylindrical part lined up with the pitman shaft. The 500's biggest spot is just above and below that where the bolt bosses are.

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
Low enough that the bottoms of the lower primaries and the collectors have a straight shot at going below the bellhousing mount brackets on the frame.

With the other headers we've discussed, those brackets must be removed, and that's the right way to go for ground clearance on a lowered car.

I'd guess the difference is 2-1/2" to 3".

Maybe someone has a photo of the 2458's installed.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like those bell housing brackets you mentioned were cut off years ago.
We noticed some jagged metal remnants on the inside of the chassis around where the transmission butts up to the engine.
Today we cut off what appears a post for an old clutch so it's a clear shot for sure now.
:) Danny

1 - 7 of 7 Posts