Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the steering wheel/horn set-up a little while ago in the '55. Just hooked up the battery and BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAST! I took everything apart and put it together multiple times, but alas- still stuck. I even tried using the original parts with the same problem. Anybody having/had this problem?

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,791 Posts
TB....Are you shure you have the parts installed in the right sequence? Also, the large curved washer has to be installed a certain way.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked up Danchuk's exploded view of the horn components and installed them verbatem. The concave metal disc is installed with the "bump" pointed up towards the the spacer which mounts under the horn ring... The disc seems to fit pretty tight inside the steering wheel indentation...

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
One possibility is that the lock washer under the steering wheel nut is to fat and the cupped disc is touching it. Also, the 3 legged retainer HAS to go through the 3 large holes in the disc or it will hold the disc against the wheel when the screws are tightened.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I have the metal disk in properly, as well as all the proper components in the correct order. The 3 prong'd horn button spacer isn't holding the disk down any. Anything else I might be missing?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Well, I have the metal disk in properly, as well as all the proper components in the correct order. The 3 prong'd horn button spacer isn't holding the disk down any. Anything else I might be missing?
The wire in the steering column may be shorted. Take the spring contact that goes through the steering wheel out and hook up the battery to see if it honks by itself. Then install the contact to see if it honks. The contact insulator could be bad. Then the disc, ect.

·
Premium Member
5,338 Posts
If you overtighten the three screws holding the horn ring to the steering wheel, it will cause this. I had to leave mine rather loose with loctite on the threads. Also, check for a badly worn spot on your main steering shaft. Can you wiggle the steering wheel up and down after it's bolted on? If so, replace the column bearing. A badly worn one can cause honking when you turn the wheels. GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys:shakehands: turns out, the nylon bushing that the horn contact spring goes through wasn't long enough, and the spring was shorting out against the inside of the steering wheel... 2 days later I found this out. Sheesh...

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I just installed the steering wheel/horn set-up a little while ago in the '55. Just hooked up the battery and BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAST! I took everything apart and put it together multiple times, but alas- still stuck. I even tried using the original parts with the same problem. Anybody having/had this problem?
Exactly why my horns are disconnected, but mine needs all new horn button "stuff"

Glad you got it fixed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts