Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having some sort of trouble with my horn in my 56. It won't stop blowing!
I bought a new relay, still does it. I took off the horn mechanism on the steering wheel completely, still blows ever time I hook up the battery. It's got to be a short, but how do I trouble shoot it or fix this horny thingee. Ok, made you smile just a little bit, no comments please, but I would like to have my horn work. Is there a way to rewire just the green wire without taking it all apart in the column? :confused0006:

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,022 Posts
I am having some sort of trouble with my horn in my 56. It won't stop blowing!
I bought a new relay, still does it. I took off the horn mechanism on the steering wheel completely, still blows ever time I hook up the battery. It's got to be a short, but how do I trouble shoot it or fix this horny thingee. Ok, made you smile just a little bit, no comments please, but I would like to have my horn work. Is there a way to rewire just the green wire without taking it all apart in the column? :confused0006:
Take the single green wire connector loose at the bottom of the column and see if it still blows. .... http://www.trifive.com/garage/56%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/12-30.gif If not, the problem is probably where the wire connects to the horn bearing (upper shaft bearing).

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take the single green wire connector loose at the bottom of the column and see if it still blows. .... http://www.trifive.com/garage/56%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/12-30.gif If not, the problem is probably where the wire connects to the horn bearing (upper shaft bearing).
Don, how do I get to the upper shaft bearing. I'm assuming taking the turn signal assembly out and it's cover ..... And once I get to the bearing, what am I looking for or should I just replace it.

·
27,022 Posts
Don, how do I get to the upper shaft bearing. I'm assuming taking the turn signal assembly out and it's cover ..... And once I get to the bearing, what am I looking for or should I just replace it.
Make sure it's in the column first, by pulling the 1 wire connector. The brown wire could be shorted someplace under the hood.
Pull the steering wheel and you will see the copper looking slip ring outside the steering shaft. That's the bearing. The brown wire connects to the copper ring. Look for a bare wire touching someplace where it connects or under the turn signals actuating lever.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had the same problem when making turns and/or shifting. I replaced just about everything in the top of the column. Then I checked the concentricity of the steering rod to the column and it was way out. Corrected it top and bottom ... horn quit sounding. :congrats:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,713 Posts
Very good advice from Don....You could disconnect the tan wire on the horn relay....If the horns still blow, then you know that you have a short upstream from there.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had the same problem when making turns and/or shifting. I replaced just about everything in the top of the column. Then I checked the concentricity of the steering rod to the column and it was way out. Corrected it top and bottom ... horn quit sounding. :congrats:
Sorry to hijack this thread but i have the exact same problem and have replaced the parts in the top of the column as well.....how do you correct the concentriciity?

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was wondering the same thing. How do you check for that? I did check the wire up top and I didn't see anything cut or arching out or loose. Maybe if it warms up a bit, let's say above freezing, I'll check the lower wire connector. By the way has anybody ever re-wire the horn wire thru the column ? Can that be done? :hmmmm2:

·
27,022 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. How do you check for that? I did check the wire up top and I didn't see anything cut or arching out or loose. Maybe if it warms up a bit, let's say above freezing, I'll check the lower wire connector. By the way has anybody ever re-wire the horn wire thru the column ? Can that be done? :hmmmm2:
The horn wire comes with the upper bearing and can be replaced by tying a string or small wire to the lower end and pulling it up with the bearing, then the new wire can be pulled down the column with the string or wire. The upper bearing centers the upper end of the shaft in the column and prevents side play.

The lower end of the column is centered by adjusting the firewall column clamp. ..... http://www.trifive.com/garage/57%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/7-4.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts