Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I redid my horn as it did not work, now it works too good, (all the time). I replaced the horn kit, the upper steering column bearing and contact plate and the relay. When I went to put it back together the horn starts blowing as soon as I put the nylon spring loaded contact into the steering wheel, before I even put the concaved metal spring or the horn ring back on.
What have I messed up? I just have the spring loaded contact out now so it doesn't blow.
Thanks for any ideas.
John

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran a new wire from where the contact plate wire comes out of the steering column to the relay. Do you think maybe the wire going to the contact bushing is pinched? I took the contact bushing just out enough that I could pull the wire freely from where it comes out the column???
John

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
WELCOME

:sign0016:to trifive 55Ch3vy:wavey: Sometimes when dealing with electricty it can seem like:banghead: :anim_25:with your project... Later, Dave

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,421 Posts
If it only blows when you put the spring contact in the wheel, there is a problem with the nylon insulator around the spring contact. If the wire were pinched in the column, it would blow wheather the contact was installed or not. Do you have a stock column and stock wheel?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the column and steering wheel are all stock 55 Chevy. Maybe in the morning I'll try putting the old nylon spring contact back in and see if that fixes it. Its too darn hot right now, 104 on the porch lol.
Thanks so much fellows.
John

·
Registered
66,282 Posts
:hello: hi john and welcome. good to have you here. like don said, i would check that insulator. if you have to, you can get a horn kit at danchuk (#882-$20). :anim_25:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,353 Posts
John....For your reference, the photo below shows the sequence in which the parts are installed in the steering wheel.

Photo courtesy of Acardon

·
26,421 Posts
John....For your reference, the photo below shows the sequence in which the parts are installed in the steering wheel.
Photo courtesy of Acardon

Please note; The rusted area in the center of the wheel should be cleaned of rust and not painted, for proper operation of the horn. :eek:

·
26,421 Posts
That first little ring in the photo David sent, does the bevel go towards the bushing or the spring.
John
Toward the bushing. It's actually the inner race for the bearing and the spring puts pressure on the bearing and takes side play out of the shaft.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Do you have the convex/concave springplate installed correctly? The convex side is down toward the steering wheel and the concave side is facing you. You only need three hands to hold it altogether as you start the screws. Once all three are tightened and the horn ring is all lined up you should be okay.
John F

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
55 Chevy Horn Blows all the time

Congratulations fellows :happy0030:. Its fixed (I hope it stays).
Couldn't find a thing wrong with the plunger so I back tracked to the top bearing and contact plate. Pulled it back out and it looked great but I put the old one back in and everything worked. Have no idea what was wrong with the new contact plate but must of been something.
Thanks so much for all the help.
John

·
Registered
3 Posts
1956 Belair Horn Issues

Good Morning All, this is my first post here.
I ordered the Danchuck horn kit for my 56 and installed, following the vague instructions. My horn is on constantly once I attach the horn ring and cover.
My problem is not a pinched wire but it is there is nothing to keep the horn ring from contacting the actual horn button. Once I install everything the horn ring is sloppy and seems there should be a spring or something to hold the horn ring from contacting the button.....but there is not. I installed all parts that came with the kit and it is all the same parts i took off except for the bearing that has the horn wire attched.

Please help
Thanks in advance
Josh

·
26,421 Posts
Good Morning All, this is my first post here.
I ordered the Danchuck horn kit for my 56 and installed, following the vague instructions. My horn is on constantly once I attach the horn ring and cover.
My problem is not a pinched wire but it is there is nothing to keep the horn ring from contacting the actual horn button. Once I install everything the horn ring is sloppy and seems there should be a spring or something to hold the horn ring from contacting the button.....but there is not. I installed all parts that came with the kit and it is all the same parts i took off except for the bearing that has the horn wire attched.

Please help
Thanks in advance
Josh
If you have the parts in order as post #9 picture, the cupped washer may be upside down. It goes in, like a upside down saucer. If the parts are correct for a 56, the horn ring should be firm with some spring when depressed. Also, make sure the legs of the 3 legged retainer go through the large holes in the cupped washer. If one of the legs is resting on the edge of one of the holes, it will compress the cupped washer, cause the horn to blow and take the springyness out of the cupped washer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank You for the response. The spring I can see is slightly cupped.....Damn near flat. I had to look closely to make sure it was cupped. Maybe a faulty spring....is it supposed to be cupped quite a bit or ever so slightly, because this one is almost flat

·
26,421 Posts
Thank You for the response. The spring I can see is slightly cupped.....Damn near flat. I had to look closely to make sure it was cupped. Maybe a faulty spring....is it supposed to be cupped quite a bit or ever so slightly, because this one is almost flat
It should be cupped quite a bit. Is this a new cupped washer? Do you have the old one?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Had my horn ring all apart this morning. Thanks for the "upside down saucer" reply made it much easier for me. I tweaked that plate a little to put more of a bend in it and it helped. Like you said, get the plate and steering wheel real clean and another little tip I ran into. Had an extra bushing ring with the screws and near impossible to get on correctly. The extra set I had somebody had cut the ring apart so that I had 3 separate bushings/screws. Much easier with this. You can line up the plastic spacer and the baffle plate with the screw hole and then start the bushing and screw and then proceed to the 2nd and 3rd bushings. Made the job much simpler and now I have a ring that sits at the proper height and horns blow with an easy push on the ring. Happy happy day for sure. Down to a short list now before I give the car back to it's owner.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts