Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My first question for this forum is: My steering wheel needs tighten and I need to remove the horn button.. How do I do this without damage.

Thanks in advance

David

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,422 Posts
The bel air has 2 clutch head screws through the spokes of the wheel from the bottom side. If you don't have a clutch head screwdriver, I have made do by finding or grinding a small screwdriver that just fits the clutch head at a diagonal. Screws are not shown here. http://www.trifive.com/garage/57%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/9-4.gif

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,360 Posts
Bruce....You will have to ID the year and model that you have.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Bruce, the 55-56 Bel Air cap is held on by one screw, access it on the back side of the thick center post of the wheel. Original was clutch head as Don posted but it may have been changed at some point. If you don't have a clutch head screwdriver use a right sized phillips head, just be careful to not strip the head.

·
Administrator
64,134 Posts
Hello,

My first question for this forum is: My steering wheel needs tighten and I need to remove the horn button.. How do I do this without damage.

Thanks in advance

David
You will have at least two of those clutch head screws on a 57 wheel

You can grind down a flat screw driver to suit, make sure its magnetic :anim_25:

·
Registered
3 Posts
horn button removal

Hi Guys,

I learned another valuable lesson today.
Never attempt any ambiguous disassembly process via directions of "shop manual" without referring to this forum first.
I managed to break a portion off the base of my steering wheel today because I was following the directions of my "shop manual" it says, and I quote
"3. Pry off horn button or ornamental cap and remove horn mechanism.".
This is in the Steering section 9-6.
As you so kindly pointed out there is a bolt accessible from the underside of the wheel. That makes removal quite simple.
Unfortunately, I didn't visit the website 'till after I broke it.
I am probably not as mechanically inclined as most of you, and for that reason I am greatly appreciative of your perspective and insight, as I take on this, never ending, project.
On my '55 there is only 1 bolt at the top of the center spoke, on the back side of the steering wheel. It is 3/8 & a socket fits through the pilot hole.

Thanks again,
jason

1 - 10 of 10 Posts