Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again the horn on my 57 belair in not working. I narrowed it down to a ground wire that it doesn't have, grounding the steering column. Any ideas as to where to make the connections for the ground wire. The rag joint is riveted, and difficult to get to.

·
Administrator
66,915 Posts
Originally there is a green ground wire at the bottom of your steering column, when you press the horn ring that makes a ground connection to the relay behind your radiator support, that closes the circuit that makes the connection to blow the horns. If you disconnect your horns and press the horn ring you should hear a click at the relay if all is working. You need to get the relay to ground when the horn ring is pressed, either work from the bottom of the column out to the relay or from the relay back to the column.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
angs1957, I just finished posting a reply to you on an other discussion. Anyway, I appreciate your help. Tomorrow morning I will do as you suggest, disconnect the horns and listen for that click sound as I press the horn ring. I will check the two relays I have. I'm trying to figure out a way to ground the steering column, any ideas. The car has p/s, shortened column, and riveted rag joint. If I can accomplish this, I believe the horns will work. Thanks.

·
Administrator
66,915 Posts
There was some discussion about making up a link like a bridge wire to continue the ground path over your rag joint.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't get a chance to check both of the relays, and there was no click sound on the I checked. Too much NFL and USA soccer and it being a Sunday, but I did bridge a wire over the rag joint. Here is the picture I took. Well, it did not work. I'm back to the drawing board. Sorry I couldn't download pic. I'll try later.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There was some discussion about making up a link like a bridge wire to continue the ground path over your rag joint.
Good morning. Here are the pics I took. I didn't even get a click out off the relay. I will change the relay and see what happens. Next step would be to look into the steering wheel. What a simple wire hookup and what a PITA to get it to work. Last resort would be to replace the horn kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
If you have the original style wiring harness, find the dark green wire at the connector at the lower part of the steering column.
Stick a paper clip down the connector to make contact with the dark green wire's pin inside the connector.
Connect a wire from a good ground to the paper clip temporarily, to see if the relay clicks when you do so.
If the relay does click with the temporary ground wire, but not when you use the horn button or ring, then the problem is in the steering column somewhere.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, here is where I'm at. All three wires are connected correctly, I think, #5 to bat, #3 to green wire at column and # 1 to horns (2). There is power on # 5 only. I thought there would be power on #3 also, but no. There is no click, no horn blowing, nada. I ran a jumper from red to horn (blk) and horn blew. I ran a jumper from green to ground and nothing. I ran a jumper from the spline bolt to the neg on batt and no click or sound. The problem must be in the steering somewhere. I hope I'll know what to do. No, I do not have the original harness. I replaced it long ago. I got the harness from M&H electric fabricators, inc out of Santa Fe Springs, Ca.

·
Registered
541 Posts
If grounding the relay connection used for the green wire doesn't trigger the relay, and there's power at the relay's battery connection, it sounds like a bad relay.

·
Administrator
66,915 Posts
So you are aware, at the relay you have three connection wires, in no order you have:
1 - +12V constant power (red)
2 - Horn wire (black)
3 - ground wire from horn (green)
These are in the wiring loom to the connector that plugs onto the relay.

I would disconnect wires on your horn, run a ground wire so you can touch the ground contact on the relay, listen to see if you hear a click, if yes, the relay is working it will be not having a continuous ground from when you press the horn ring.
Working back I noticed you have a bridge wire over the rag joint, if the relay is working by using a known ground, next is to run a wire from the bridge rag joint to the relay ground and listen for the click, if yes next go to the bottom of the column and look for the green wire that runs up the column to the ground bushing that allows the horn ring to ground when pressed, that completes the circuit.
Hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes it all makes sense. I have done what has been suggested to no avail. So, I went to the steering wheel and as I was pulling out the horn ring things dropped out. I looked over the parts and they all were in good shape. Not knowing how the parts are placed in order, I went ahead and put it together. It didn't work. I was looking at pics on the sticky and at Danchuk instructions and I believe that I installed the parts incorrectly. I will look into it tomorrow. Thanks.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well gents, I tried and the horn did not blow. The thing left to do is to replace the bearing in the steering column. One thing I did notice is that the plastic sleeve for the spring contact is below the copper contact if that makes a difference. Anyway I'm leaving it alone for a while and just stare at it.

·
Administrator
66,915 Posts
If you have a multimeter its easier to check for a continuous path, if you don't have one their cheap, make sure the meter has a buzzer so you can hear it

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do have a multimeter, but I haven't used it and this morning I really screwed up. I jumped a wire from the bat on the relay to the green wire bypassing the relay and I fried the plastic sleeve
on the horn contact. I did this because I had no power one the green wire. At first I I jumped from bat wire to green wire using the rely, but there was no power so, I disconnected the green
wire from the relay, and connected bat to green and boom, fried plastic. All of this because of not knowing what to do. Now I will be ordering a new bel air horn kit, steering column bushing bearing kit,
and a new horn relay, and who knows, by the time I get the parts I may decide to do it myself.

·
Administrator
66,915 Posts
No no, OK start over the green terminal and or wire is your ground. The relay has constant power, read post #10 there`s a break down.
The relay has constant power, you make the circuit complete when you ground the relay with the green wire or pressing the horn ring, this enables the relay to switch power to your horns.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll be ordering the new parts tomorrow and I will start again when they arrive. Thanks angs1957.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts