Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The horn was working well up until today that is....:

The horn which uaually sounds like a mack truck started to get whimpy and more whimpy as I tooted pulling into the garage today.....then smoke....a lot of smoke came out from under the hood and the horns got stuck on loud. I scampered for a 1/2 " wrench to disconnect the battery while yelling for a fire exthingusher....I thought it was a gonner....

After inspection I see the black wire coating on the passenger side horn melted off completely under the plastic wire runner about 12" long of melted jacket...some of the plastic wire holder was melted too..hence all the smoke.

When I connect the battery quickly the horns are on continuos..

I will replace the relay ASAP but that may be a week or so and need to use the car before that.

Is the relay only for the horn or does other components rely on it too?

Can I drive it without relay? Will the charging system work? etc....

Any advice appreciated.......

Thanks.....

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
The horn relay on a 55 is independent. You can remove it. Just insulate the red wire that is connected to it. I suspect that one of the horns shorted out internally which welded the horn relay contacts, which would explain the weak horn (only one horn), constant blowing and cause the wires to burn.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Don,

You are correct only one horn was blowing..relay is out and car started ok.

Now to find the correct relay.. locally if possible.

Do you suspect the horn or horns are not good now?

·
Registered
817 Posts
they are a common part napa should have one for ya. the horns are available used on ebay and here sometimes. i would hit ebay first though

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Just pulled the melted wire from the passenger side horn. Melted back to the "Y" where the short black wire goes to the driver side horn. Wire is not melted on that one or back to the relay..seems good.

Picked up the replacement relay at NAPA..driver side horns works..passenger is clicking only..need a new horn.

Going to ebay now..maybe replace both? Sound like a good idea?

Does anyone knw if the passenger side horn is the low tone or high tone?

Thanks...

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,791 Posts
Rick.....Check with Bruce, TheHotrodHandyman....He lives close to you and should be able to supply you with a new horn.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Pops...Great idea.

I did send him a PM and hoping to hear from him today.

Thanks,

Hope all is well with you...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts