Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 57 BelAir with a stock column, wheel etc. and classic AWW wiring kit. I've replaced the horn mechanism, and bushing in the column too.

I press the horn rim on the steering wheel the horn sounds and then stays on! If I then disconnect the battery power, it reset itself. When I re-connect the battery all is quiet on the horn front. If I then press the horn rim again, the horn sounds and stays on again. I then have to repeat the battery disconnection procedure.

Is a faulty relay the cause of the problem?
Thanks in advance for any guidance.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,078 Posts
I have a 57 BelAir with a stock column, wheel etc. and classic AWW wiring kit. I've replaced the horn mechanism, and bushing in the column too.

I press the horn rim on the steering wheel the horn sounds and then stays on! If I then disconnect the battery power, it reset itself. When I re-connect the battery all is quiet on the horn front. If I then press the horn rim again, the horn sounds and stays on again. I then have to repeat the battery disconnection procedure.

Is a faulty relay the cause of the problem?
Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Try jumpering the black wire at the steering column connector to ground to make the horn sound and then see if it stops when the jumper is removed.
I think it is probably the cupped washer is touching ground on the wheel or shaft nut, but if it keeps blowing after the jumper is removed it must be the relay sticking.

·
Premium Member
5,521 Posts
Pound on the relay when it happens. If it stops then it's the relay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you have the steering wheel off?
There is a sticky on the correct parts assembly order.
I have had the steering wheel off recently yes. To replace the indicator mechanism. I've triple checked the assembly order, I referred heavily to the shop manual. So confident things are in the right order, and the belville spring is the correct orientation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem identified

So took Don advice on the test wire and that started the horn, removed the wire and the horn stayed on.

Followed David's suggestion about pounding the relay and the noise stopped! Problem solved, sticky relay. New one ordered from Mark at Mutton Hollows.

Thanks for your help and advice.

·
Administrator
66,903 Posts
So took Don advice on the test wire and that started the horn, removed the wire and the horn stayed on.

Followed David's suggestion about pounding the relay and the noise stopped! Problem solved, sticky relay. New one ordered from Mark at Mutton Hollows.

Thanks for your help and advice.
Good to hear you found the problem :tu

1 - 9 of 9 Posts