Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me whether I need a steering wheel pull to get this wheel off? I need to get to the turn signal lever underneath it. It's been 40 yrs since I've messed with any of this stuff. thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Once you remove all the screws to pull the steering wheel off, you will need a puller to pop the adapter off the splines. First remove the large nut that that secures the adapter to the splined shaft.

·
Administrator
66,194 Posts
After removing the centre nut you may be able to yank the wheel off by wiggling it towards you, be careful you dont wack yourself with it either :)

·
Registered
67,793 Posts
you can borrow a puller from advance auto (if there is one near by). :anim_25:

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,027 Posts
Auto Zone and O'Reilly also loan tools. Use a steering wheel puller to keep from damageing something.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wheel came off almost too easy. The sleeve that the horn spring/contact goes into is broken and was in the wrong position. The turn signal lever had a sheet metal screw sitting loose in the mounting hole, just so it would look operational, I guess. Can one get the horn/turn signal guts as parts? I looked on ididit's website but did not see this stuff. Am I looking in the wrong place?

·
27,027 Posts
Wheel came off almost too easy. The sleeve that the horn spring/contact goes into is broken and was in the wrong position. The turn signal lever had a sheet metal screw sitting loose in the mounting hole, just so it would look operational, I guess. Can one get the horn/turn signal guts as parts? I looked on ididit's website but did not see this stuff. Am I looking in the wrong place?
You'll have to call Ididit to get parts. Very few manufacturers list parts on the web.

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
Do you have a picture of the guts? I doubt that any of these manufacturers use their own guts.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll get a pic of the guts this am. I read somewhere that Ron Francis did the guts for Ididit's columns, and there were problems. I checked Francis' website and found nothing. I'll call Ididit today. In the short term, I need to get a "southern engineered" horn that will honk for the vehicle inspection.

·
27,027 Posts
In the short term, I need to get a "southern engineered" horn that will honk for the vehicle inspection.
Most auto parts stores have horn buttons. Bolt it to a spare hole under the dash and run a wire to the black horn wire in the turn signal connector. .... http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_5470854-P_x_x?cm_mmc=ACQ-_-Google-_-enhancedRM-_-5470854&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=5470854&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=&gclid=CND1ksKj_bkCFUVp7AodWn0AMA#utm_source=acq&utm_medium=google&utm_campaign=enhancedrm&utm_content=5470854

·
Registered
875 Posts
If its an Ididit column they use GM Saginaw hardware, the Help Accessories section at most Auto parts stores carry the turn signal hardware if its not on the rack and they have Help Accessories they can order it from the catalog, if you cant find it there a local junkyard that has 70's and 80's and some early 90's Gm or Chrysler vehicles with tilt columns (Chrysler didnt make their own columns back then they bought them from GM/Saginaw) should have what you need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts