Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I attended HAN first of 6 formal shows this weekend and walked away with an overall First Place. Shocked and excited!!
Now on the down side, the car ran HORRIBLE up in that elevation, but much better again once I got below about 3500 ft.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Hey, Well done . Congratulations and of course the car deserves the award. Enjoy HAN!!!

Heita!
:/=:

·
Registered
67,783 Posts
nice going bill. :tu

·
Registered
870 Posts
I took a real close look at your car, its amazing, wish I would of taken the time to say hello. There were some Trifives up here but I was not sure who the owners were and of course I left the camera at home.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Congratulations and I have a question. You said the car ran terrible at altitude. What did you attribute that too? What eng/carb does it have? I will be going to Reno Hot Aug nights from San Jose and it will be the first trip for my car. It has 1957 283 with quadrajet carb and gen/ voltage regulator. I am sort of nervous. PS I drove a 1955 Delray with a rebuilt 6 over Sonora pass in 1970, still in high school. Do not remember how the car ran but do not remember anything negative except my boots getting burned when left to close to the campfire

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone!

Tahoe1955, It would have been nice to meet you, and thank you for the compliment!

NEWWIFE,
It's the fact that car's set up at low altitude are set up for dense air, rich with oxygen, and the air at 7000 ft is thinner with less oxygen, so our carbureted cars will run rich. Mine was running so rich I though my plugs were on the verge of fouling! People do all sorts of things temporarily like bumping the idle up (which can help it from stalling at idle), pulling a vaccuum line to lean it out, etc.. I did none of the above. Some people just deal with it, and experience no other problems other than the "loss of power." Don't be nervous, you should be ok.

-bg8

·
Registered
844 Posts
made it to Reno and the car ran great, 65-70 with a two speed powerglide. I have an original radiator that was re-cored and the te,o barley went past the midpoint on an original gauge. Feels cool to keep up with the 350 crates. gas mileage, 13.3

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Thanks everyone!

Tahoe1955, It would have been nice to meet you, and thank you for the compliment!

NEWWIFE,
It's the fact that car's set up at low altitude are set up for dense air, rich with oxygen, and the air at 7000 ft is thinner with less oxygen, so our carbureted cars will run rich. Mine was running so rich I though my plugs were on the verge of fouling! People do all sorts of things temporarily like bumping the idle up (which can help it from stalling at idle), pulling a vaccuum line to lean it out, etc.. I did none of the above. Some people just deal with it, and experience no other problems other than the "loss of power." Don't be nervous, you should be ok.

-bg8

Its a quick fix ..... all you have to do is bump up or advance your timing, i run 12* advanced in Truckee/ Lake Tahoe, then i have to drop or retard the timing to 2* when i am in Sac or the car pings because it is so far advanced, or pre-detonation......

Good wife, i can bring my timing light down with me on Friday if you car is running ruff buddy... we can bump up the timing and smooth here out like silk.....

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its a quick fix all..... all you have to do is bump up or advance your timing, i run 12* advanced in Truckee/ Lake Tahoe, then i have to drop or retard the timing to 2* when i am in Sac or the car pings because it is so far advanced......
I run 16* down here at sea level.

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
I run 16* down here at sea level.
because you have a big cam or bigger than stock cam we will say, and you need to compensate for the lift and duration, you still need to bump it up when you come up to higher altitude, no oxygen means more timing...

or even better, smaller jets in the carb, but the advancing it will work for the weekend.

With my stock cam in my stock 350 is why i can get away with 2* advanced in Sac or lower elevation's, and even then it was starting hard a couple of times, next time i will try 1* advanced or T.D.C.

Bye the way congrats on your 1st place award :congrats: :tu :congrats: :tu

Rick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts