Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a vehicle accident in Burbank that destroyed a 32 Vicky. This home video shows the drivers rescue by people that witnessed the accident. It clearly demonstrates the need for a fire extinguisher. I added one to my daily driver yesterday and will add one to each car after seeing this. If not for the cheap ansul ABC extinguisher the driver would have been killed by the fire.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...d=586426384001

Watch and learn ... I did.

Joe

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I carry one in the armrest/storage box that sits on my front seat... Later, Dave

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I had one of my 57's catch fire about four miles after I picked it up from a transmission repair shop. Horrible feeling...luckily a nearby construction worker had a fire extinguiser with him. After that I keep one under the seat of anything I drive.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hey guys

Remember to inspect your extingushers often to be sure they are fully charged. Also, you should take the extingusher out at least once a year, turn it upside down and shake it to keep the powder in the extinghusher from compacting from the pressure of the nitrogen. If you don't and I have seen this at a few extingusher demonstrations you may get a small amount of powder when you first discharge the extingusher, then the nitrrogen could bypass the powder and you will just get the gas dicharging. When fire protection company's come around to inspect extingushers at businesses this is (should be)part of their inspection.

·
Registered
66,287 Posts
have one in each of my old cars. think its time to get one for all my cars. :five: ................. :sign0009: don't forget your home everyone. have them on all floors in the home and garage.

·
Registered
117 Posts
... Also, you should take the extingusher out at least once a year, turn it upside down and shake it to keep the powder in the extinghusher from compacting from the pressure of the nitrogen...
Quoted for a reminder... I didn't know that, that is EXCELLENT info... THANK YOU.

And I don't know what the case was with this particular car, but that awful scene just reminded me why I will never shave the door handles on one of my cars.
I don't know if that was the case on this 32, but it looked like they had a **** of a time getting him out.. and that makes me think... if the electrical on the car is toast, and people are unfamiliar with your car, ie, everyone but you, and that's IF you have a mechanical back up.. and you're knocked unconsious, etc.
I don't want to burn up because good Samaritans can't figure out how to open my car door for me.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
:) I watched the rescue of the guy in the Vicky on local TV last night.

They also interviewed the driver of the Vick, who broke a couple of vertebrae's but was just thankfull that there were still people around willing to help, he said if it was not for them he would probrably be dead.
He also said that he had been hit from behind at a stop light, but thats all the details available then.
The driver said he hopes to meet all of those who helped him and that maybe someday he would be able to help someone else like they did.

Don, aka.....the hamsman

·
Registered
117 Posts
it was scary to see how much gas spouted from the impact site to where the car burned. Maybe an electric fuel pump and the hose popped off... high flow!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I had the misfortune of a fuel line split on my 66 Chevelle, while it was in my shop running. It sprayed gas on the HEI. I'll never forget the experience. I pushed it out to save the shop, but car damage was 19K. I had a fire extinguisher in the car. I can't believe how little powder, and how short a time it sprays. I've now got BIG extinguishers in both garages, the house and for the cars.

·
Registered
9,469 Posts
And I don't know what the case was with this particular car, but that awful scene just reminded me why I will never shave the door handles on one of my cars.
I don't know if that was the case on this 32, but it looked like they had a **** of a time getting him out.. and that makes me think... if the electrical on the car is toast, and people are unfamiliar with your car, ie, everyone but you, and that's IF you have a mechanical back up.. and you're knocked unconsious, etc.
I don't want to burn up because good Samaritans can't figure out how to open my car door for me.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that !

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks For sharing

Thanks for sharing this vedeo. Hopefully it will wake some people about some things such as fire extingulishers, correct and safely constructed fuel systems(not saying this one was not), shaving of door handles, chopping of tops, and on & on. Point is we must construct our cars as safe as we can to protect ourselves from the idiot drivers who are on the road. From the looks of this in the videa this poor guy was hit from behind at speeds exceeding the legal limit. I am an insurance appraiser(retired fire fighter) and see things every day that I just shake my head and think to myself HOW DID THIS IDIOT DO THIS?? Drive safe and defensively.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
According to the article ... he was stopped at traffic light at an intersection and he was hit from behind. The impact broke open the gas tank and he was driven by the impact a couple of hundred feet accross the intersection. If not for the cheap dry chemical extinguisher he would have died in the fire. He was unconscious and literally pulled from the car. The ride was a 32 Vicky that he had redone at Brizio's 4 days before ... I always had an extinguisher in my 55 but I have since added one to my pickup and wife's car. The video is too graphic to dismiss ... Joe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts