Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something I've wanted to build since the 70's. I'm finally getting to do it.
The car is a 1928 FORD sport coupe, it's a "soft top" coupe.
Bought the car in Edgewood, NM and drove it home. That was fun.
It occupied the front garage while I "finished" the wife's '57 3100.
While it was sitting I formulated a "plan", ha ha.
Anyway here are some pictures of the car as I bought it:

The car had already been "hotrodded", with a Thomas aluminum head,
Riley 2 carb intake, Stromberg 97's, Mallory dist. and 16" wheels from a 35 Ford. And LOTS of pinstriping !

Attachments

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Then I got started, made a deal with a local guy to sell him the stock drivetrain. Before the car came apart my welder/fabricator partner
and I made and intake manifold for the A. Used a Holley 500 2 barrel carb. That thing ran WAY better than the 2 97's. Oh well...
After the house remodel got "finished", I started taking the A apart.
And found NO RUST, how the heck does that happen?
Anyway, this car is clean and dry. So the body off the frame
the engine/tranny out, the rear axle out, ect....
IN is going the blower motor/Muncie 4 speed I was going to use in the '56 gasser.
Part of the "plan" is a '32 Ford axle and Buick finned aluminum drum brakes for the front, (thanks, blackbass).
So then it was time to start taking it apart.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So now today June 6th here is where it is:
That is a '56 car steering column in there and a blue metalflake steering wheel.
Eelco aluminum tank, blower motor, and lots of holes, LOL !!
Anyway, I'll keep up with progress pics...............

Attachments

·
RIP 11/24/2021
68,758 Posts
great project, thanks for sharing. :tu ..................it was cool before you even started. :)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Hey Gary,,,Good to see you start your project,,but,,,but,,,you can't put that blower on it,,,,,it's too much.!!! Oh, well you talk bout the WOW factor the first time you roll that bad boy down the street,,,,,,,
I like your roll-a-round .. Keep in touch, :anim_25:

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Gary,,,Good to see you start your project,,but,,,but,,,you can't put that blower on it,,,,,it's too much.!!! Oh, well you talk bout the WOW factor the first time you roll that bad boy down the street,,,,,,,
I like your roll-a-round .. Keep in touch, :anim_25:
Dude, really? too much? no such thing as too much:p3::sign0020::sign0020:

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
So now today June 6th here is where it is:
That is a '56 car steering column in there and a blue metalflake steering wheel.
Eelco aluminum tank, blower motor, and lots of holes, LOL !!
Anyway, I'll keep up with progress pics...............
Hey Gary, I met you when I picked up my frame (via Laszlo). Are you still installing the rear differential from my '56 Nomad in this project??? Keep the pics coming.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Gary, I met you when I picked up my frame (via Laszlo). Are you still installing the rear differential from my '56 Nomad in this project??? Keep the pics coming.
Nope, I don't think it would hold up, so I've got a FORD 9" for it.

·
Registered
8,092 Posts
I cringe everytime I see one of these model A builds because when I was a kid,a woman gave me an old chassis once just to get it out of her yard. This was before the internet. I couldnt figure out what it was, so I hauled it off. Turns out that it was a model A frame. I cant wait to see yours come together. It looks like its gonna be bad ass.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
update june 25th, put the body back on the frame, needed to see or at least get and idea of how this thing is gonna look. Me likey......
Frame is boxed, "X"ed, 9" needs to be narrowed, steering box is mounted, gotta move the firewall back about 3", blower will fit, BUT I haven't figured out how to run a belt driven cooling fan. This build has a time frame style in the mid 60's, electric fans weren't around yet. So I'm gonna run an Edelbrock C26 with 2 Pontiac 425 Carter carbs for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mmmmm, supercharger, it fits !! it's kinda like 5 lbs or "stuff in a 2 lb bag, but it fits !!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
That's the kind of project that can be fun! Looks like a solid frame and great straight rust free body. I like the look it's starting to have and that rascal is gonna fly! Thanks for keeping us posted.:flag6: Blake

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
quick update, the frame is done 'cept for grinding/makin' it look pretty.
The axle is in California getting dropped and having the camber fixed.
Then it's on the the firewall and steering column..........

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
progress, firewall has been a puzzle, i didn't want to buy one of the store bought, generic looking ones for $250.00, so i flipped the stock one and started trimming and patching. it's commin' around. got the pedals/mastercylinder hung, couple more years !!! LOL.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.