Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a '55 Belair Sedan Barn find. It has 55k miles on it and was in the barn since 1972. This is a 6 cylinder ,all original car.There is no wire from the hot water sending unit at the thermostat housing. All the wiring is original and un molested. Execpt for that wire. Does anyone know what color it is? Where did it come through the firewall? Was it in the taped harness? Thanks, Dave

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,812 Posts
Dave...55's did not have an electrical wire....A capillary tube was used from the engine to the gauge....It connected to the left rear of the intake on V8 models....Not sure about 6 cylinder models.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thermostat

Thanks guys, No wonder I cant find the wire. I knew the wiring harness looked original. But there still is the question of the electric hot water sensor at the thermostat housing? Dave

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,812 Posts

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
As David said, the original 6 cyl. did not have an electric temp sender. The original mechanical sender was in the back as the drawing shows. Someone may have added it. Is you gauge a mechanical or electric? 1956 models used an electric gauge and looked like and would fit the 55 dash cluster. A mechanical gauge will have only the capillarly tube attached to it. An electric gauge will have 2 terminals for power and the sender.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts