Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
67,686 Posts
great vid, thanks. :tu

·
Registered
214 Posts
You can bet that beauty is NEVER left unattended at a show. Wow, 68-75 of those ever produced ('57 convrt with F/I), none with all those options. Rare is not the word.

I have a spotter to climb over a boulder in my jeep. He has a spotter to back out of the garage!:sign0020:

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
It's sweet alright! I wish he had pictures of the cowl tag up close before the resto to verify all of the options were original to the car. Trunk insulation is re-pop and doesn't appear to be correct.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
It's sweet alright! I wish he had pictures of the cowl tag up close before the resto to verify all of the options were original to the car. Trunk insulation is re-pop and doesn't appear to be correct.
Yeah and he has a 55-56 compass for other GM make. It would have a white dial for chevy..and that auto top raiser was for 55-56 only! Doesn't know what he is talking about. Nice car though..wouldn't mind having it for sure..just a few things that need attention.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Nice car but lots wrong with it as far as correctness goes.
Highly doubt it was originally an injected car (no documentation).

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
One of these 'contour' cars? Really? Ahem.

First up – what a great car. Really.

Someone has questioned whether it's an original fuelie. If there were less than a hundred of them sold this way, I guess this one has as good a chance as any of the others of being the real deal – and I tend to trust the restorer as being genuine in his understanding of the providence of this car. BUT, it is my observation that cars back in the day were never heavily accessorised – maybe one or two of the big ticket items, but not the whole sheet with tick boxes all over it. That makes me wonder about the genuineness off all of these accessories, regardless of whether it is a genuine fuelie or not.

Daniel, since the auto top raisers were a dealer option, how possible would it be for a buyer in 57 to request one from a dealer in any case, assuming one from 56 was available? (The builder does say that, according to his research, they came primarily on 55s and 56s.)

One of the commenters on YouTube questioned why it did not have air conditioning as well? My question is, being a convertible, how many of these would have had air conditioning fitted from factory in any case?

Best quote: "There was no computers on these cars at all, was there!"

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Just did some CSI on the clip.

Went full screen on the part where Larry is taking the presenter through the flip book and paused on the best vie of the original cowl tag. The space beside Acc. reads blank.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Dealers might have obtained a few sets of Foxcraft fender skirts and offered them through their showrooms but skirts were NOT a Chevrolet option in 1957.

I notice there is a rear speaker switch in the dash. I'd like to know where the speaker was mounted as there is no factory provision for a rear speaker in the convertible. (I mounted a speaker in the back of the rear seat and I have seen speakers mounted to the canvas top well, but neither of these are correct and negated the effectiveness of the speaker with the top down.)

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
Thanks for sharing & one great car; however all those options and it still has vacuum wipers & not the electric??

Ken 57bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
335 Posts
No one knows how many FI Converts or any other model were built.
Injected cars came with vacuum wiper motors and electrovacs.
They didn't start building FI cars until sometime in March 57.
A quick check of the serial number would tell you right away if it even had a
chance of being a fuelie. 99% of FI cars that you see today are clones.
What he talks about in the way of numbers on the car means nothing
as you need some documentation to really prove originality.
Notice there are no pictures in the photo album before the restoration to see
what it had in the way of options and what the engine looked like.

I am not saying it isn't a nice car but it has many things incorrect on it.
I only looked at the video once and noticed several things including rear speaker switch (not available on converts), no stainless strips on the lower seat shells, the left spotlight is a 55/56 one, tissue dispenser in the wrong location, etc. I'm sure if I saw it again or in person there would be others.
There is a very remote chance that a 57 convert could have had an auto top raiser even though they weren't available (so the car couldn't have been ordered with it). A dealer could have had an extra one laying around from 55 and put in this car. This could only be verified with the original Bill Of Sale.

Not knocking the quality of the restoration just the 'correctness" of it.
The problem is when someone like the guy in the video says something people think well he must be very knowledgable from the way he's talking
so it has to be true.

The car has done very well at some "Concours" shows because judges there
are looking at several types of cars and can't be expected to know everything
about all of them.
However, I would like to see how it would do at a Classic Chevy Show!

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
The problem is when someone like the guy in the video says something people think well he must be very knowledgable from the way he's talking so it has to be true.
I think the fellow being interviewed, Larry, knew a lot about that car, but not necessarily all 567s – seems like building modified cars was more his thing. He stressed that he worked as much as possible with what the car already had – keeping and restoring panels, exterior trim etc. rather than swapping out for repro items. That's the difference between 'original' (to a particular car) and 'original specification', I guess. I have no doubt that all those accessories where on the car when he bought it, even though they may have been added after market.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts