Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shipping. I hate shipping. Costs more than the price of some small parts. Get free shipping when offered. I don't know how businesses can afford it. If you think about it how much of the retail prices is the shipping cost. Then I think of food prices, etc. Makes my head hurt.

Then who do you blame?? Politicians, big oil, the arab states. Don't see it getting any better.

I guess that's why I like swap meets. Still have to put gas in the car to get there, so I tell myself it's a special cruise.

What about you Aussies? How can you afford to buy a car in the states and have it shipped to you? Then when you have to buy parts??

I dread going to the post office. I get sticker shock everytime.

So guess what? I'm shipping something again today. :sign0020:

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Shipping. I hate shipping. Costs more than the price of some small parts. Get free shipping when offered. I don't know how businesses can afford it. If you think about it how much of the retail prices is the shipping cost. Then I think of food prices, etc. Makes my head hurt.

Then who do you blame?? Politicians, big oil, the arab states. Don't see it getting any better.

I guess that's why I like swap meets. Still have to put gas in the car to get there, so I tell myself it's a special cruise.

What about you Aussies? How can you afford to buy a car in the states and have it shipped to you? Then when you have to buy parts??

I dread going to the post office. I get sticker shock everytime.

So guess what? I'm shipping something again today. :sign0020:
...luckily you do not have the extra burden of having to deal with customs, extra "brokerage fees", duties, exchange rates...now that will make your head hurt :(

To try and save a couple bucks when I can, I have smaller things shipped to a friend in CT, and then he groups them all together, and ships it to me in one box, and I get to save a couple bucks!! Going to look for a service just south of the border who can do this for me...really don't want to bother my friends for my stuff :)

On another forum, in the classified section, there is a "shipping page" ...say like a TRIFIVE SHIPPING page if we had one here, where you list what you have, and going where, and see if someone is going your way...works pretty well to!! I myself had a top moved around until it got up to VT, and then I made the drive to get down and get it with my trailer! It took a little longer, and I did offer gas money, plus a little extra, but it was worth it, as the top was handled by people who care, and I saved a LOT of money on regular transport!!!

Suffice to say, a big part of my restoring costs are shipping/transport... :banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Gidday, Shipping makes your head hurt ?? Try being down under.
If i had bought all my parts to date at posted shipping rates i would be over my head in shipping
I am trying to build to a budget ( i know it will go over) on what i am prepared to spend and keep a log of items purchased.
A quick calc ( thanks to excel spread sheet) and i find that purchase of parts total to date is approx 10k USD total with shipping is at 17k USD.
That extra 7k USD is enough $$ to purchase a lot of gear but alas it is what it is FREIGHT.
This is why i always try to purchase multiple items in any shipment and ask to combine the postage. Add this to the currant exchange rate and it will do your head in at a rate of .95 in AUD. this equates to $7,338.25 AUD just in freight and $10,481.06 AUD in parts totaling $ 17,619.31 fo 10k worth of parts.
Now add to this that 1 elusive part u need for $10.00 and only a few vendors have it.
You ask for a quote for shipping and are blown away for the costs they quote
eg. an item weighing no more than a 1/4 lb, fit in a post pak and i got quoted astronomical prices of $ 350.00 in freight! WOT THA? When h$%l freezes over. So you either miss that part or pay
Dang now my head hurts my rant over

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
I agree, shipping charges are killer! After hearing about the shipping cost for those out of the US, I think I'd probably just buy a car that's already built the way I wanted, and be done.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Don't blame big oil. U.S. refineries provide us with some of the cheapest gasoline in the free world.

Last time I checked, we get more crude oil from the Canadians than from the middle east.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
That's why the guy who bought the 69 C20 from me at Pomona last fall filled it with parts to take home to Australia. He said it costs the same to ship it full or empty. Now I REALLY understand what he meant.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well, even just across the border it crazy. For example, we ordered a back pack for my daughter who's is in grade two. The back pack was exactly what we were looking for and it cost $35 US, which was a very good price.

It got shipped to Canada and when it got delivered we got charged 80 dollars for broker's fees. I have heard of this before so we had asked to please use normal USPS which there isn't such charges when delivered to Canada. I've yet paid any extra money when using USPS.

We called the place where we got the back pack and told them what had happened and they were nice enough to reimbursed us the cost of the back pack but we still paid 80 dollars to the shipping company.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
That's why the guy who bought the 69 C20 from me at Pomona last fall filled it with parts to take home to Australia. He said it costs the same to ship it full or empty. Now I REALLY understand what he meant.
Yep thats right, you bring a container in the US to AUS and you are pretty much paying for the container, so you pack as much as you physically cram into the container, there are many who know more about doing this then i but some parts getting them shipping to AUS is just highway robbery...

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
It seems that someone in the auto parts industry could make a fortune if they established a HUGE auto parts business in OZ.
Is that true?(keeping in mind that I know absolutely nothing about your country except for meeting a squad of your soldiers in Nam)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.