Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - I was wondering if anyone had any experience with trying not to have a car/truck totalled.
My daily driver is a 1972 chevy "custom Camper" C10 pickup with 80,000 original miles. I've had it about a year and a half and have put a fortune in it mechanically through the course of that time. Items like new air / 700r / engine upgrades / cooling upgrades etc. It is really a unique truck because it is what Chevrolet called a "Highlander" and came with factory air / tach / upgraded interior and much more. To add to this the truck was stored for many years in California and thusly the original metallic green paint was in really nice shape... not perfect but nice, it appears and one point in its life it had an owner who waxed it so much the poaint has begun to thin. But no dents , no rust really nice.
Well two weeks ago we were hit with a massive hail storm..massive. It ttok oof the roof of the house, busted two dual pain windows, killed a bunch off trees, destroyed anything that was in the backyard and well severly damaged both mine and my wifes vehicles. My wifes mini van took some severe damage but since it is a 2008 we will be okay but my truck...I don't know. State Farm has set up emergency tents for all the claims and we've been waiting for an opening (by appointment only) to see an adjuster. I went ahead and went to a body shop already and the damage is close to $6000.00. I'm afraid they may total the truck, and if they do and I have to buy it back I won't have enough to make the repairs. Most non car guys don't understand but I don't want to leave it looking like a golf ball plus it dimenished value. I paid $7500 for it, have all recipts for all work performed, I have NADA valueing it at $10,000 + but thats it...
What if they look at it as just another 72 truck and total it and give me $1000 for it or what if..what if? I have ten thousand scenarios going through my head and none of them is State Farm repairing the truck which makes me really upset because I was under the presumption that I had an agreed value policy with full coverage when my agent just told me otherwise...(Read Everything !).
Does anyone have good solid advise on how to keep "Mr Green Jeans" (The truck) from getting totalled? Thanks

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I have a 68 Anniversary Special in similar re-stored condition to yours.I'd hate to lose it!
State Farm will try to low-ball you on the truck!Be ready and aware.
Don't accept the first offer-Hold out for the real value,even if you have to get a lawyer involved.
Provide all your receipts for the work on the truck too,to show what you've invested.
And good luck!
Mike.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Sounds like you'll be ready for them with pics, receipts, etc., in other words PROOF of what you have. Easy to say but I wouldn't worry until the adjusting process kicks in. You say your agent has told you otherwise, but agents have been known to be wrong (my own experience--with a BIG company) and like it has been said you don't have to accept the offer. There are attorneys that specialize, but you know-$$$.

You're getting your ducks in a row. See what happens next.

Sorry you got caught up in that nasty storm-kinda common around here.

·
12,256 Posts
It sounds like the best approach is to let them total it and don't worry about it. Just make sure they assign an appropriate value to it. Then offer to buy it back and go have it fixed. You should be able to negotiate a pretty low buyback price.

These guys can't do anything without your agreeing to it. If you don't like the offers, don't accept them. Eventually they have to settle with you.

I did this with a Toyota truck my son totaled...we came out way ahead on it after fixing it up. And it was State Farm...I found them easy to work with.

·
Registered
912 Posts
mo57, did you have the truck insured correctly with a "stated value" or "agreed value"? If not, you could be in for a tussle since the company contractually only owes you the "actual cash value" of the vehicle. ACV is derived from many factors and the previous posts are excellent advice. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
A bad insurance experience with State Farm is what taught me how to buy insurance. I had a Dodge Dart that I had redone mechanically (you could still smell the engine paint) and new interior.......basically, a nice little driver. A 2 door, V8, AC, automatic with cop wheels, nice big 15 inch rubber........etc, etc.
I was sitting at a light stopped when a woman pulled in front of a car going the other way and was pushed into my car. I called my agent and he referred me to their claims center. I was the only one who could drive away. I needed a fender, headlight bucket, grill, bumper. My appointment was for a few days away. I went to the u-pull and got the parts I needed. there was a row of darts there at the time.
Now, remember, this was my company, and the other driver got the ticket. My agent said to do this "just in case".
I was at the claims center for a couple of hours. They had a big window from the lobby where you could see your car. I saw a lot of adjusters go out and look at my car, raise the hood, etc..........I get called into a booth with a gal who says something like.....it's obvious you've spent a lot of time and money on your car. Unfortunately, we can't locate any parts for it. We'll just have to total it and we'll give you a check for $500.00 for it when you bring it and the title to us. That's my company, looking out for me.

Fast forward........I've got JC Taylor insurance on my toys now. My 66 Chevelle caught onfire 2 years ago. The estimate was 19,000. The adjuster said he could total it and give me 25K, or write a check to me for the estimate, whichever I prefer. It's fixed now.

Good luck on your claim.......I didn't persue mine because the other lady's insurance company gave me 1100 to fix mine......I put on 100 worth of parts and got the car painted with the rest, at one of the chain paint places.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Sometimes I just can't help myself in hearing the insurance stories. If you don't have a "stated value or agreed value" policy then you have an ACV policy. 99% of alll cars on the road have ACV policies. Car guys such as us need to get the stated value or agreed value, whichever you can get in your state. State laws differ. ALWAYS go in and speak face to face with your agent's office representatives. Ask questions. If they can't answer, they should call their Regional office for assistance. If another party hits you, you should file a claim against that company. If you decide to use your own coverage, you will pay your deductible and let your company subrogate against the other company. If they are successful, you will get your deductible back. You get what you pay for and ASK the questions up front, not after a claim and think you had this or that coverage.

South Texas State Farm agent

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
State laws do differ. And I'm sure the definition of "stated value" and "agreed value" may be among those differences.

"Stated value" is usually more akin to "actual cash value" as defined in an earlier post.

"Agreed value" generally means that if it's a total loss, that's what you get.

The other area where states may differ is whether you are allowed to buy it back. Some may consider that potential for insurance fraud and disallow it. In others you may have to be on an approved bidder list to buy it (call that legal but potential fraud too).

There have been many posts about agreed value and stated value - you may want to do a search and read up.

Remember, whatever you read here is just what we say - but it should help you ask the right questions to the right people.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Make darn sure you know your policy coverage, especially dealing with State Farm!!!!!!.
I had State Farm coverage on my vehicles since I was 16(folks had their coverage thru them) when I was 26-27 I had State Farm coverage on my home, personal vehicles and company vehicles and for the business. One snowy, icy, morning my wife was heading to work in her near new 280 ZX, she pulled into the parking lot( down hill) ahead of one of her co-workers driving a lifted 4 by with a huge Leverne bumper, hit the brakes and slid right into the trucks bumper...about $3500 worth of damage to the Z, scraped paint on the pickup bumper. State Farm paid to have the Z repaired. Anyway about 2 months later State Farm sent us a letter(at our personal vehicle renewal policy time) stating that they were cancelling our coverage on our personal vehicles...and I had my company and it's vehicles covered with them let alone our home.

I changed companys right then and there, to me after 10 years or more with the company that was utter BS...my agent couldn't do anything for us..."from corporate", but wanted to make sure we kept our home and company coverage with them...DUH! I think not!

Good Luck! Wish you the best

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have been on both sides of the company for over 36 years total and never, ever seen someone nonrenewed over ONE claim (Other than DWI). There has to be more to the story. I go to bat for customers everyday and most keep up their end of the bargain and everything is fine. Those that don't, I can't do anything for. I have customers who have been with SF over 65 years and never a claim. We have the most uninsured drivers in the country around here close to the border. Everybody has a choice and that is what's great about this country!

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
The policy of cancelling after a claim or a ticket varies from state to state also. I think our fine lawmakers here in TX took care of us on that (for this one). On the other hand, I've read that we have some of the highest home insurance rates in the country thanks to the same folks and their bureaucrat flunkies. I think auto rates probably are not so comparatively bad though.

Insurance, lobbying, lawmakers, and consumers are all in a continuous tug of war. Even in one place it's a moving target.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
The real factor is where your agent set the premiums for the coverage he assumed you wanted. What's said and done won't change the ink on the paper or the insurer's end. You may very well be underinsured and the premiums you paid reflect that. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys for all your help. Like I said it is my fault that I did validate the agreed value on my policy. I did provide documentation to my agent stating such, but ultimatley shame on me. I insure all my vehicles to a very high coverage and pay plenty for my premiums.
I see some of the responses lean toward to insurance carriers side and some to the car guys side but I value each one. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I have been on both sides of the company for over 36 years total and never, ever seen someone nonrenewed over ONE claim (Other than DWI). There has to be more to the story. I go to bat for customers everyday and most keep up their end of the bargain and everything is fine. Those that don't, I can't do anything for. I have customers who have been with SF over 65 years and never a claim. We have the most uninsured drivers in the country around here close to the border. Everybody has a choice and that is what's great about this country!
Well it does, or used to happen, here in Colorado especially with State Farm and younger drivers under 30, not only did State Farm cancel auto policies they also would do it to homeowners after claims for things like hail damage. Now this happened over 30 years ago, at the time I hadn't had a moving violation since I was 17, My wife did have two speeding tickets one when she was 20 and another when she was 22, she was 24-25 yrs old at the time. The only claims we ever had with the company were due to hail damage a couple years previously, wifes car was totaled, thats when she bought the "Z", and I had two business claims on one of my company trucks when an uninsured driver ran a stop sign and hit the truck and the aforementioned hail damage. Oh they wanted to keep us covered on our homeowners and business just not the personal auto policy, the "Z" and my Corvette.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
G.R. - My parents were with State Farm from the 60's, Me and My wife( no claims or tickets in 15 years), Brother and his family, sister and her family all State Farm. My wife and I where told by our Agent that State Farm can choose not to renew at any time here in Arizona.
Yea..I tend to go along with your thoughts on the subjet.

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
Most of the collector car policies require that your car be kept in a garage.

If the vehicle was at your home and it was not in the garage, that may be a problem on coverage unless you can provide some reason it wasn't in the garage.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Myold57..........I hope you get to keep your truck.........and if you need parts, I found a great guy with fair prices for anything 67-72. And he's right near you in Mesa. Let me know, I'll hook you up.

G.R........me too........my folks already had State Farm when I was a kid.........I had SF from the time I got my license. At the time they worked me over, I was in my 50's and had one small (2000) claim.
They had my home, my cars, my umbrella policy, my business policy, my malpractice policy........everything.
My Dad said he always wanted one agent, so no matter what happened, he just had to make one call. I now still have one agent, but I have a number of different insurance companies......he saved me lots of money, and I still have just one call to make if something should happen.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts