Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,
Mocking up my small block using Williams side mounts in the 3/4 forward position. Tried putting it in the stock location and its just too tight for the tall valve covers by firewall and my HEI dizzy. So in doing this I can no longer use the front mounts to set the engine in as a guiding point.
How did you guys that had to move your engine forward center your engine ? What did you use as a reference point ? I saw this pic from another thread...

So would I then measure from the string to each side of frame to get it centered ? That doesn't seem real accurate, frame could be off or tweaked..

Another thought...do the same thing with the plumbob only hang it from the rear. Then draw a line or string on floor up to front, squaring it , and then hang another plumbob on tranny like the pic so that this one touches the line on the floor ?

I was looking for something up in engine compartment to center using the harmonic balancer center of nut, but not real sure.

Any help would be appreciated. Spent a frustrating day and just ended up scratching my freshly painted valve covers, steering arm and oil pan, and not much else...live and learn.

·
Registered
37,487 Posts
You can use the same method at the front. Measure from the upper control arm brackets.

The best way to do this would be to establish a center point in the front (as above) and another in the rear, and make a line between them.

I understand your point about the frame possibly being off. These two are the best you can do IMO.

On centering the rear of the trans, how far can it be off? Off 1/8" would really be no problem.

The biggest thing about centering the engine up front is making clearance for everything. Moving it slightly to the passenger side is no big deal if you need the clearance.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input rick. Was looking at the a-arms for a reference point. I'll have to get out there and play around with it some.

I was doing this with just the engine this time. I'm thinking that if I attach the tranny then I could possibly use the old rear mounts also as a guide, from side to side...converting over to a tremec. If I get the tail of tranny aligned with rear pinion then that should square up the engine also, dont you think?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts