Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

My '55 was my daily driver until we got a heat wave about 2 or 3 weeks ago. (SoCal). I drive my 5 and 3 year old sons in it and it sucks puppy poo when it gets over 85*, without an A/C in the car.

It's been parked and I started driving it again over the last couple of days.

It's always had a lite hum when I got it up to about 35mph. It never really bothered me because it's be constant over the last 22 years. Now, the hum/growl/howl got louder and is making some other weird random noises. I hit the freeway and it sounded like something was going give.

So, how do I figure out if it's the tranny or rear end? I can't pop the cover off the pumpkin to see how it looks inside. The rear end doesn't appear to be leaking from the axle tubes.

Thanks In Advance,
E

·
Premium Member
5,338 Posts
Do you still have the front drum brakes? It could be a bad wheel bearing. I'd jack up the car, put it on jack stands, start it up, put it in drive, and listen at the rear wheels. The front could be jacked up and just hand spin the tires. You may need to loosen the shoes to spin them.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you still have the front drum brakes? It could be a bad wheel bearing. I'd jack up the car, put it on jack stands, start it up, put it in drive, and listen at the rear wheels. The front could be jacked up and just hand spin the tires. You may need to loosen the shoes to spin them.
That's a negative. I have disc up front.

I COULD jack it up and put it drive. It makes me nervous though. I've done it once before with my Jeep and I think my heart rate got over 100 beats per minute. (I don't want to end up on the 7 o'clock news and have to tell you guys how I screwed up. ;) )

hmm. Maybe I can convince my brother to come over and help me with it. I would feel better having someone in the car just in case the jack stands and the jack both decide to give out.

hmmm *thinking*

E

·
RIP 02-03-2022
50,809 Posts
That's a negative. I have disc up front.

I COULD jack it up and put it drive. It makes me nervous though. I've done it once before with my Jeep and I think my heart rate got over 100 beats per minute. (I don't want to end up on the 7 o'clock news and have to tell you guys how I screwed up. ;) )

hmm. Maybe I can convince my brother to come over and help me with it. I would feel better having someone in the car just in case the jack stands and the jack both decide to give out.

hmmm *thinking*

E

You can do this if you use a wheel scotch......:anim_25:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Is your rear end low on lube? Trans low on fluid? May be a rear wheel bearing. Could be a few things.I would get your bro. and test it ....SAFELY. Put the rear end up on jack stands also a jack. And like Mickey says chock the wheels so it does want to roll.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is your rear end low on lube? Trans low on fluid? May be a rear wheel bearing. Could be a few things.I would get your bro. and test it ....SAFELY. Put the rear end up on jack stands also a jack. And like Mickey says chock the wheels so it does want to roll.
The tranny and diff are full. Those two were the first thing I checked.

rear wheel bearing, they growl when they're going bad.
I'm starting to lean toward the bearings. I'll see if I can check it out today.

Since the pinion seal is leaking, I might do a whole refresh on the axle. I sure hope the ring & pinion and spider gears are ok. I don't have the time, money, or know how to install new gears.

*Holding My Breath*

E

·
Registered
375 Posts
I have found good luck narrowing down noises by having someone drive by me while I'm standing on the side of the road. From inside I always guess exactly wrong side and wrong end.

Maybe it's my driving?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE

Ok. I jacked up the rear end and the noise was LOUD.

As far as I can tell, it's coming from the driver's wheel. It got louder when I applied the brakes. Also, when I pulled the parking brake, the passenger side was still, but the driver's side kept spinning.

With all the noise, it was kind of hard to tell for sure where the noise is coming from.

Hopefully I can pop off the wheel tonight and see if there's anything weird going on in there. I wonder if the brakes fell apart in there.

Thanks,
E

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well..... Check this out..

I replaced the diff oil less then a year ago. DOH!!

When I spun the wheels by hand, I could feel the "bumping" of the bearing. Some of you know what I mean. I couldn't pinpoint it because the vibration transfers to each axle shaft.

After I opened the fill hole and pulled out the oil that you see in the picture, I was able to stick my finger in there and feel the the bumping. I also felt either the case or the bearing cap move every time I moved the axle back & forth.

Replacing the bearings seem pretty straight forward. I really wish I could replace the pinion bearing and seal while I have it out.

Does anyone know what it would cost if I replaced the bearings myself and had someone set the back lash?

Thanks,
E

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Well..... Check this out..

I replaced the diff oil less then a year ago. DOH!!

When I spun the wheels by hand, I could feel the "bumping" of the bearing. Some of you know what I mean. I couldn't pinpoint it because the vibration transfers to each axle shaft.

After I opened the fill hole and pulled out the oil that you see in the picture, I was able to stick my finger in there and feel the the bumping. I also felt either the case or the bearing cap move every time I moved the axle back & forth.

Replacing the bearings seem pretty straight forward. I really wish I could replace the pinion bearing and seal while I have it out.

Does anyone know what it would cost if I replaced the bearings myself and had someone set the back lash?

Thanks,
E
Special tools and knowledge required to do it right. Not for the novice.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Special tools and knowledge required to do it right. Not for the novice.
Ummm. I understand what it takes to set the backlash. That's why I asked for cost. I know a rough cost to rebuild the whole axle, just not the cost to set the backlash.

If you're referring to the bearings, that's an easy job.

In fact, I've seen enough and read plenty of "how to" gear installs that I feel confident that I can it. It might take a whole weekend, but I know I could do it. However, I don't have the time to learn it nor do I want to borrow any expensive speciality tools from friends.

E

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I assume this is an original rearend in your car. Why not pull the axles, take the entire pumpkin out of the car, and take it to a good shop? Should not cost that much if you take it out.

Umm. I can do the case & pinion bearings and put it back together. I'm a DYI guy. So, at this point in my life, I rather do as much as I can myself. Right now, I have more time than money. Down the road, I might have more money than time. At that point, I just might take the whole car to someone have have them do the whole axle.

If I made it seem like I was unskilled or un-knowledgeable, that's my fault. I HATE jacking up the car and running it to spin the wheels. With my Jeeps, I just remove the front or rear or both drive shafts and drive it to narrow down the "problem."

When I remodeled our kitchen, I didn't much about construction. I picked up books, and asked a ton of questions. I ended doing everything except the custom cabinets. I removed walls, added a pony wall, re-did all the electric, installed new circuits and other stuff. I just do whatever I can, myself.

I would like to do as much as I can, with the axle, before taking it to anyone. As I see it right now, I just need someone to do the backlash/pre-load. I have friends who know how, but everyone if busy with life or their own projects.

E

·
Registered
926 Posts
It really isn't all that difficult to set up a set of gears. I too don't like to pay to get anything done, and was never afraid to try something new. I'm sure there are youtube videos, books, or a buddy that can give you some pointers.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now that's what I'm talking about... Thanks!!

I don't know how this got into a discussion about "special tools" "knowledge" and "novice."

I just asked a simple question about cost, then it feels like I'm being snubbed as if I asked to paint a show car with a rattle can.

E

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.