Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing an LS1 engine and T56 transmission out of a 2002 Camaro into my 57 Chevy. The transmission has no speedometer cable going to it. How can I make the speedomeeter work? Does someone make a kit to do this?

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
The best way to make the speedo work with a T56 in a 57 is to use an Autometer electronic speedometer. It fits in the original speedo hole in the cluster like it was made for it. Then all you have to do is connect to the speedo connector on the side of the transmission and calibrate the speedo per Autometer's instructions.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,805 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Russman , before you buy a set of gauges call the manufacture to see if they will work with the T56 V.S.Sensor without an (electronic) adaptor box . I know Classic gauges need one at 200+ after spending 700+ for the gauges by them selves. That's and extra expense you don't need . Don

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
I don't think you'll need an adapter for the Autometer speedo.

And it will work directly wired to the transmission speedo sender.

I have two friends that have done this. It's easy and the other thing is it's an awesome speedometer. Steady smooth gauge movement, no bouncing.

As said, there is more than one model that will work - different background and numeral colors.

One more thing, 2-5/8" Autometer gauges will fit in the small cluster holes on a 57 too.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,805 Posts

·
12,256 Posts
Nobody commented on my links to another solution. :confused: If you want to use the STOCK speedo, the solution in that link will work for $325. That's less than the cost of a new speedo and electronics to make it work if needed. Once you change the speedo, you'll surely have to change the rest of the gauges too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts