Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have seen a lot of people who have used the 55 quarters but cannot find anything about how anyone has fixed the dip to get the trim sitting properly. I am thinking about having a go at doing it off the car on a shot bag with a hammer and bolster. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Mines not that bad on my 55, but I've come to the conclusion that that is a very complex body line, and I will just have to do without the paint divider, which is my favorite piece of trim. I guess I end up with something in between a 150 and a 210. To get mine to fit, I need to bend them, and don't know how.

·
Registered
35,512 Posts
Misuraco, ref. your link, this doesn't appear to be a fit issue, it just looks like the feature is formed wrong. The crease that starts at the belt line looks like it's vertical downward, where it should be at the same angle as the paint divider. Vertical downward but sloped to the front of the car. You shouldn't even see the crease with the paint divider installed (but it needs to be there for the divider to fit.) Seems to me that's a fault of the tooling - they will all be that way until it's fixed. And that's a big change to the tool, maybe even starting over.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rick is correct. The crease in the new panel is vertical. It looks similar until you put the divider on it. I have been told put the panel on the car and then shape it and also by someone else do it off the car. I am really looking for anyone who has fixed this area and may have pictures of the process. I have seen where some have cut around and retained the original dip but mine have some rust thinning from behind in that area so that would be a last resort. I would like to do it myself without out sourcing the job as I have already spent the money on panels that I thought would be useable. I didn’t see this issue mentioned in the list of things wrong with the Goldstar quarters.
Thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
does the divider fit flush against the panel ? if so i would get a cheap brick bolster, grind a concave curve on it to match the shape of the mould. then hold it on the outside where you want the crease & gently tap the existing crease down from inside, keeping pressure on the bolster . you will probably have to use a flat dolly on the outside & hammer on the inside to finish flattening the existing crease out once the new one is formed.
hope this makes sense to you.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
If the panels haven't been installed, take them back to where you got them?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Had the same issue with the 57 quarters on my 210. Did not notice it until later. One side is a little more dramatic than the other. With the trim on the 57, I did not have an issue and no one would probably notice unless I pointed it out. Still a shame it was not correct.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Isn't there also a fitment issue with quarter window molding...looks like the shape is all wrong.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Returning the panels is out of the question. I purchased them from Danchuk and had them shipped to Australia. I have seen a car that has them fitted and made work but it was done interstate. The quarter I am fitting now also has a small issue around the rear screen where it meets the deck filler panel but that looks like a simple fix. I just cannot understand why they would go to all the trouble of making a panel but not get it right.
It is a one of those jobs that I have to wait until I feel it is the right time to take a hammer too and then I am sure it will work out.

·
Registered
13,713 Posts
Misuraco, ref. your link, this doesn't appear to be a fit issue, it just looks like the feature is formed wrong. The crease that starts at the belt line looks like it's vertical downward, where it should be at the same angle as the paint divider. Vertical downward but sloped to the front of the car. You shouldn't even see the crease with the paint divider installed (but it needs to be there for the divider to fit.) Seems to me that's a fault of the tooling - they will all be that way until it's fixed. And that's a big change to the tool, maybe even starting over.
Woodys are building 55 hardtops with the exact parts that are in question. Contacting them as to what they do could prove to be beneficial.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That isn’t a bad idea. One of the reasons I went with these panels is that they are building cars out of them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts