Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Does anyone know of any good threads or articles about how to remove and install an axle?

Thanks!

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,713 Posts
CF....Not sure what year you have....However, the 55/56 bearing is the same and 57 is a one-year only bearing.

I have an article on the bearing replacement procedures in my computer library....If you would like a copy, just send me a PM with your email address.

Also see:http://www.classicchevy.com/assets/pdf/classicchevy/21-24.pdf

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Hey,
Does anyone know of any good threads or articles about how to remove and install an axle?

Thanks!
You need to provide some more information about exactly what you have. Is the rear end an original 55-57 rear, or is it some swap, like a 12-bolt, 9 inch, etc.? Axles retention varies with the model and how you remove them varies, as well as the tools required.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I just went through it on my '55 (new bearings) and it wasn't fun. And one is starting to leak already. Next time I'm buying the axles with the bearings already installed...

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
If you have an original rear axle, there are four bolts that have to be removed on each side. You will need a slide hammer that bolts up to the axle. Once the bolts are removed the slide hammer will pull the axles right out. You will need a press to replace the bearings and the seals are part of the bearing assy. I would purchase the bearings and new seals for the axle cups before I started the job. Might also be a good time to remove and inspect the pumpkin assy while the axles are out. Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts