Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 57 has a positraction differential. How can I tell if it’s low and how often does the oil need changing? Any special type of gear oil for this? thanks for you help.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
THERE IS A PLUG ON THE DIFFERENTIAL,THE OIL SHOULD JUST BE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PLUG,& YES POSI,S TAKE A SPECIAL OIL,,DICK:):)

·
Registered
912 Posts
fins, actually the special oil that RSpring is talking about is a posi-traction additive and I believe that 4 oz. is the amount. It is a small bottle. You can use a good quality gear lube, just put the additive in first. If you aren't getting any clunking or clanking from the rear end the lube is probably fine as long as you verify the level. Good luck!

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,878 Posts
I use the short leg of an allen key to check the level, keeps my pinky clean. If you are not getting any chatter the fluid should be ok. We use the Canadian Tire brand of posi/ non slip fluid, good day.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I pump it in there to a overfill to where it runs out, once it stops running out the fill hole, the level is correct.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I pump it in there to a overfill to where it runs out, once it stops running out the fill hole down your wrist into your arms and stops dripping off your shoulder into your ear, the level is correct.
There fixed that for ya!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Get that gear oil on you and you'll be smelling it forever and a day. That is some nasty stuff! :puke:

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Get that gear oil on you and you'll be smelling it forever and a day. That is some nasty stuff! :puke:
The only thing worse is burnt or severly overheated gear oil,,get that on your clothes,,or even stand in the smoke or fumes coming off of that,,and the clothes are a throwaway. stinky stuff, it's worse than diesel fuel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts