Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the factory stock motor mounts, factory bell mounts, and crossmember for the rear of the 4-speed. i`d like to put a blow-proof bell in the car.[`57] could i eliminate the bell mounts? are the other 2 enough?

·
Premium Member
19,484 Posts
i have the factory stock motor mounts, factory bell mounts, and crossmember for the rear of the 4-speed. i`d like to put a blow-proof bell in the car.[`57] could i eliminate the bell mounts? are the other 2 enough?
yep, Im not using the the optional scattershield <lakewood> mounts on my 55 either, Never hav and nev will :anim_25:

·
Trifive Calendar Editor
3,317 Posts
Agree, it seems most folks are running side engine mounts with transmission mounts or the front mount with bellhousing mounts. I'm in the process of switching from the front mount to side mount setup. If you skip the bellhousing mount you can remove the frame horns, giving you the option to run headers with more ground clearance.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,737 Posts
If you eliminate the bellhousing mounts, you SHOULD side mount the engine.

·
Administrator
50,514 Posts
that`s what i figured. stronger, right?
Well actually it comes down to if you eliminated the bellhousing mounts think of the distance between the front mounts and the rear crossmember. Puts a lot of stress in the center.
Terry

·
12,101 Posts
The stock front mounts are awfully close together and don't give you much resistance to engine torque without the bellhousing mounts in there too. So you really need something with a wider spacing, like side mounts, imo. Also as mentioned I wouldn't use front mounts and a tranny mount alone....they are too far apart.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.