13,421 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Amps = Watts/Volts (in a DC world)

With AC, there's something called "power factor", which you won't have in a iron, but will have in a blender. Even then, the formula will be close, but not 100% accurate.

This is probably TMI, but I'm sometimes OCD. :)

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
I have never seen any device that would be near the power of 5000 watts use 110 volts.

Every normal type of device is limited to 1,500 watts on 110 volts.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I have never seen any device that would be near the power of 5000 watts use 110 volts.

Every normal type of device is limited to 1,500 watts on 110 volts.
Wow, don't know why I didn't think about that. The largest circuit breakers and outlets I've seen for 110/115/120 VAC are 20 amps. Anything 30 amps or above is 230 VAC. And like Roger says, the max load for 110/115/120 is typically 1500 watts -- space heaters, hair dryers, etc.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
... Anything 30 amps or above is 230 VAC.
There are 220V devices that use 15 Amp and 20 Amp double pole breakers.
I have an A/C unit in my garage that is 220V and uses a 20A breaker.

But yes, anything above 20 amps is 220V.
There is some specialty stuff that runs higher on 110V but not stuff you normally see.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
CAN'T DO THAT HIGH OF WATTAGE AT 110 vOLT. NEEDS TO BE 208/230. (110/120 VOLT) 20 AMP FUSE MINUS 20% FOR SURGE.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If I were to guess (and I am) I am thinking he has a generator with both 220 and 120 outlets and was wondering what he could use in the 120 outlets without over amping the generator

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
If I were to guess (and I am) I am thinking he has a generator with both 220 and 120 outlets and was wondering what he could use in the 120 outlets without over amping the generator
Gotta be.
Very good Iowa.

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Inverter

Actually Roger I have added some solar panels to the roof and I was wondering how much output in amps a inverter would produce. Sorry I didn't answer sooner. New furnace and air being installed today.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Actually Roger I have added some solar panels to the roof and I was wondering how much output in amps a inverter would produce. Sorry I didn't answer sooner. New furnace and air being installed today.
Cool!
What kind of efficiency can you get out of an inverter? Don't forget to account for that. I'm guessing you would lose at least 10% at the rated max of the inverter.
So, that might net you about 40A @110V max out of the panels putting out 5000 watts.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,004 Posts
Should have batteries which will help buffer input lag to inverter on startup of motors as well. Basically Solar panels charge feed battery's which feed the inverters.

Any more details of the setup? And what panels and inverter do you have? Whats the ball park cost?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Check out AM Solar for panels and supplies. They primarily furnish parts for RVs but they can be used any place. I purchased a new solar cell from them for my motorhome, reasonable price and prompt shipping.

http://www.amsolar.com/

Our previous motorhome did not have an inverter. I installed one from Xantrex and was really pleased with it. http://www.xantrex.com/

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
There are 220V devices that use 15 Amp and 20 Amp double pole breakers.
I have an A/C unit in my garage that is 220V and uses a 20A breaker.

But yes, anything above 20 amps is 220V.
There is some specialty stuff that runs higher on 110V but not stuff you normally see.
Yeah, I have 230 volt/20 amp service in my garage for my MIG welder and compressor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts