Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all, I believe that I read somewheres that about 8 million trifives were made and they guestimate that about 225,000 still exist. Just wondering how accurate these numbers might be. Thanx, Carmine.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I have no idea, but people find them everyday in various stages of disrepair.

·
Administrator
49,960 Posts
I don`t see how anyone could make more than a wild guessstimate on how many are still around. Stop and think about how many are still sitting around and haven`t been registered in years.
Terry

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I'm pretty sure there were only 5 million to start with. BUT add in all the 'fiberglass kits' and other aftermarket reproductions. . . .

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought possibly GM/Chevrolet had actual production numbers. It probably is impossible to guestimate how many are left. Not every motor vehicle bureau in every state keeps track of registered older cars. Like someone mentioned, thats not counting the unregistered and those barn finds. Well, however many there are, I know I have two of them. I don't like even numbers so I'm looking to add a third. Thanks everyone, Carmine.

·
Premium Member
50,809 Posts
Pigeon Forge

actually its kinda surprising tho, some times u'll go to a show or cruize inn some where different and theres Tri-5's comming out of the wood work :wavey:
When I first drove my 66 Chevelle SS to a rod run in Pigeon Forge, I believe every 66 Chevelle ever made were there at the same show. bowtie-trifive

·
Premium Member
13,073 Posts
well if you did 5,000 X 48 states that would be 240,000 ,i dont think there is 5,000 tri fives per state ,,but who knows:confused0006:

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Well I have one. I know a few guys in my area that have one each and I know of several hulks rotting away in various junk yards and fields.
Found a 56 4dr HT in a junk yard a few years ago.
But it was too far gone for me. Probably should have got it anyway. :rolleyes:

·
RIP: 12-31-2011
2,893 Posts
Just for the sake of argument, say GM made 8 million.:cool0012: Now lets say that half are gone.:bawling: We still have 4 million trifives hanging around.:happy0030: So shut off the computer and start lookin!:anim_25:
Rick

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
I don't think anywhere near half of the original production still exists.

On the other side, my guess is that 225,000 remaining is probably a low number. I think 4500-5000 would be quite low for some states. Some states probably have that many registered.

Remember, there are still lots of cars in barns and fields. There are a VERY large number that are abandoned or inactive projects that are out of public view. And then throw in all the active projects, and actual running cars. These cars are still everywhere.

Actual production figures are published. I don't have them at my fingertips but can get that tonight.

I don't think we'll ever know how many still exist with any accuracy.

·
Premium Member
13,073 Posts
I dont think there's that many cars left ,,,,,running cars that is ,,,just rotting in a field i dont think could go into the "count" you got to remember they are going on 60 years old so many are to far gone to restore ...more for parts,i think there really no way of telling but again who knows :confused0006:

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
You havent included the the cars built & shipped offshore :)
How about the ones that have been bought and shipped to other countries just in the past decade or so? Many of our members have done that.
The numbers I have say that about 4.8 million were made by GM.
Jim

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
The numbers I have agree with Jim's - 4.8 million.

I don't think half are left, that would be 2.4 million.

But if it was 225,000, that would be about one tenth of the production. In a way that seems high, it might depend on how you count them. I say there's more if you count the parts cars and hulks. Perhaps less than 225,000 if you count only cars that are registered. I think there is a huge count of projects, active and inactive.

Again, I don't think an accurate count is achievable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts