Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37,237 Posts
The travel at the spring vs. at the wheel is about 3:1. So you'll need 5/8" to 11/16" at the spring to get 2" drop. So that's about 1 coil.

If you get the drop you want with cutting 1 coil, why not just run those springs and forget about buying "lowering" springs?

And in fact some "lowering springs" are created just that way, by cutting a coil.

1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The travel at the spring vs. at the wheel is about 3:1. So you'll need 5/8" to 11/16" at the spring to get 2" drop. So that's about 1 coil.

If you get the drop you want with cutting 1 coil, why not just run those springs and forget about buying "lowering" springs?

And in fact some "lowering springs" are created just that way, by cutting a coil.
Thanks Rick. Ill use that as starters. As for drop springs ill be running a custom performance spring much higher rate than oem 55. Plan to build her to like corners. Ill be adding additional suspension to compliment. Same basic setup as I run in my cutlass. It's firm but it don't beat you to death.
Thanks
Rocky
P.S. I'm a big ole boy. It takes a hefty spring just to keep the car from leaning port side lol.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Thanks Rick. Ill use that as starters. As for drop springs ill be running a custom performance spring much higher rate than oem 55. Plan to build her to like corners. Ill be adding additional suspension to compliment. Same basic setup as I run in my cutlass. It's firm but it don't beat you to death.
Thanks
Rocky
P.S. I'm a big ole boy. It takes a hefty spring just to keep the car from leaning port side lol.
I believe a set of Moog 6308 springs is just the ticket for you.

These springs have nine coils instead of the stock ten. The overall length is 15 inches compared to the stock 17 inches. The spring rate is 380 while the stock spring rate is a mushy 285. These springs will drop your front end down lower than stock (but not in the weeds) and firm up the ride.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts

My first hand experience is 1 coil lowered my front 1.5 inches using the original 265/pg springs. I have a full iron 454, LW scattershield, M20 and full front factory hardware. Results may vary depending on the actual springs used.

1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My first hand experience is 1 coil lowered my front 1.5 inches using the original 265/pg springs. I have a full iron 454, LW scattershield, M20 and full front factory hardware. Results may vary depending on the actual springs used.
It has the original springs & original 265 engine auto trans.

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
Thanks guys but I'll be running a 550 in/lb spring up front.
Rocky
It would be good idea to make lower control arm mounting points stronger with such a heavy spring forces.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
It has the original springs & original 265 engine auto trans.
No, it has the original equipment 265/pg springs. The installed engine is the 454/4-speed, with all standard front end weight including the battery. The cut dropped the above 1.5 inches. 1st hand experience from the eng/trans swap to cutting the original coils. As I said your results may vary, just relaying my experience.

·
Banned
8,304 Posts

I cut one coil on a ZZ-4 350 four speed 57.Had a little problem with rubbing on hard corners until the addition of front and rear sway bars.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I cut 1 full coil and it drops 2-2.5" every time. Cutting a coil also increases the spring rate slightly, just enough to improve the ride and not make it harsh.

1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, it has the original equipment 265/pg springs. The installed engine is the 454/4-speed, with all standard front end weight including the battery. The cut dropped the above 1.5 inches. 1st hand experience from the eng/trans swap to cutting the original coils. As I said your results may vary, just relaying my experience.
LOL I understood you loud & clear I was stating what I have.

Sounds like 1 coil is the starting point. I'll go with that & measure before & after to record result.
Thanks for the help.
Rocky

1 - 14 of 14 Posts